Default Land cost has gone through the roof. Would you now go up a floor??

On the old forum we asked about going up and 15 years ago the majority opinion was that buying a bigger block and simply going with a single story was more economical. But in the interval the cost of land has gone up so much that if I had the chance to start over again or if we won the lottery I would personally go up and build two new bedrooms and a parents lounge in a second floor extension. What do others think now?

Fifteen years ago you might have flown up those stairs, two at a time. Today you'd probably take it at a pace governed by the pain in your hip or knees.

If you're able to retire (or depending upon what you do for a crust) consider moving way out into the sticks. Work from home. You can get some really nice houses in some country towns that remain within reasonable reach of a bigger city, or just in the country with a big block of land. Your imagination is your only restriction (Council regs aside).

Oh we'd definitely be putting in a small lift.
    Still waiting for our numbers to come up and as soon as my pre-paid funeral plan is full up I'll put some money aside for a full body rejuvenation