Thread: Table saw motor

Default Table saw motor

I inherited a Ryobi table saw. Inherited=found it in a broken down shed on a property I bought. Left behind by the previous owner. There was an old tarp over it, but there was a layer of dust on the table and mouse droppings galore.

I hadn’t bothered with it as I figured if the owner didn’t want it then it probably wasn’t up to much.

Anyway, I got around to plugging it in on the weekend, and in so far as I can tell it’s okay. I haven’t tried to cut anything with it. There’s a layer of rust on the blade.

So, my question is this. It’s about the motor. It starts without issue as noted, but when I switch it off it stops quick smart. Is that to be expected? It’s like a drive belt is dragging on something, but I don’t know if it would have a belt. (I doubt it.)

The thing is, I kind of expected to see the blade continuing to rotate for a while before coming to rest. A bit like my angle grinder does after I switch off. When I switch the table saw motor off it stops really quickly. It’s almost as though the motor has a brake on it that is applied when switched off. As I’ve never owned one of these things before I don’t know what to expect.

So is it direct drive or belt driven ?

If belt, them remove belt and see which shaft is not freely spinning. Remove any bearings and re-lubricate.
    If direct drive re-lubricate the bearings in the motor.

No idea at this stage. The cover retaining screws have a nice touch of rust. They may need to be drilled out. All good suggestions Droog, and a project for a free weekend.

Do you know if these things are designed to slow the revs down quickly when the power is shut off? I had been wondering if it was a safety feature. But who knows - it might be a dead mouse gumming up the works.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolFlynn View Post

Do you know if these things are designed to slow the revs down quickly when the power is shut off? I had been wondering if it was a safety feature. .
    Correct with some machinery.