Default Trying to liven this lot up.

Couple of things I'm doing or about to do, doing or done trying to bring some people and life back to these forums.

• Have an ad for Reno in the upcoming Wood Review magazine which I may let run for a few editions.
    • Also a small Newsitem (few paragraphs) in the following edition. Might help but won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Can't advertise in The Australian Woodworker Magazine anymore as it is now also defunct. No more magazines will be published.

• Getting ready to do a mailout to registered members of Reno and WWF alerting all to the forums being back up and running (currently crawling) on line. Have to be careful with mailouts as there are so many that a bulk mailout can shut down all 3 forums with overload.
    • Will take almost a week for all to be sent and will possibly crash the email system with returned emails due to address changes, deaths, and the like.

Unfortunately the mailout won't get to any of the members who had signed up for the previously closed forums as none of that info is/was/had been available to me, so probably preaching to the already converted.

Anyone with any other ideas for promoting these forums please respond in this thread. All suggestions will be looked at and worked on if at all possible to do.

Cheers - Neil

Consider introducing a blog page

Each week a new topic would head the page, with older topics being retained. Maybe monthly. The articles can be literally on any subject that anyone wants to write about, providing it relates to forum content in some way. At the end of the blog, there is a provision for members to make comments on the blog with the discussion becoming a new thread, with both comments and the blog becoming a permanent record. Perhaps the threads could be held in a devoted blog forum with the blog title being the thread title. (The original blog article would probably need to go through moderators to keep advertisers or spammers out.)

Trade-qualified members might like to present their skills or experiences. Perhaps something funny happened that they’d like to share. But anyone would be welcome to tell of their projects (providing they were interesting), along with a few pictures, and maybe what they learned along the way.

Perhaps if any engineers, architects, or anyone else is willing to share their knowledge then a blog might be of interest. Have you published anything? Then provide a cut-down version, if you think others would be interested.

This is not my idea. It’s one I’ve seen work quite well on another site. And some interesting articles have been posted by the average Joe Blow.

Survey page

I think you used to have one, or perhaps that was some other site. I can’t recall. It might be worth considering. What sort of survey? Off the cuff – the best sealer for outdoor use in my experience is…(then list them), or the most difficult timber I've worked with is… (and list the options). Suggestions for surveys are put by users.

Blog can be done. Wasn't all that popular on WWF so haven't bothered since.

Can look at survey forum as well. No harm in trying new or different stuff. Leave it with me.

Cheers

you need to go full gen alpha and get some viral tiktok/reels out there....

Did anyone get the email sent out on Monday 16th?

I haven't had any response at all, including the many hundreds of bounced emails I expected to clog my inbox due to auto replies, changed email address, deaths, and the good old, get lost don't bother me.

So have a feeling that they didn't all go out. I received it as an Admin and moderator but that's all. Don't want to send it again if I can see that some others received it or could get pinged as spammer or just start ticking people off.

Cheers - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#660000
    havabeer69[/COLOR]]you need to go full gen alpha and get some viral tiktok/reels out there....
    Hehehe...
    Good suggestion, might just as well go full nutter and go onto X as well.
    However, we've got more than enough problems as it is without doing that.

Imagine the influx of spammers, scammers and other ne'er-do-wells that would flock to the forums, running rampant, with tiktok and X mentality.
    Strewth

Not me.

not sure how you go about it (with little to no cost) but somehow need the forum to get in the hit list of the search engines ...

eg search for Estimating weatherboard material coverage

brings up the forum as well as Blocklayer, James Hardie & Bunnnings

This post opens just like any other, for me. I am using Firefox.

and people claim our generation will do anything for likes

Sorry for the (This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content.) message.
    'twas my fault. WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN! Hopefully it won't happen again.

All fixed now.

Was trying yet again to get the likes thingy back up and running on here. Didn't work but didn't create a problem for me with the message that was showing. Just found out about the problem 30 minutes ago and have been able to fix it with one click in a check box.
    Cheers - Neil
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes around 40 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    not sure how you go about it (with little to no cost) but somehow need the forum to get in the hit list of the search engines ...
    These forums are searched by Google and other search engine bots and within minutes a post is listed with them. However the only way to have that happen is to have people posting and if there are no posts there is nothing new to list in their search engines. It's a great big roundabout and if the roundabout stops running so does the search engine.

However I just noticed that some searches that should come to here are being sent to the closed WWF version of Reno which I need to divert from WWF to these forums for all future searches.

That may help.

If we can get some posts happening in the new Marketplace forums that may also help. The marketplace on WWF and to a lesser degree have been instrumental in bringing large numbers of web surfers to both those sites, who otherwise would never of found them and in a small way often helps to getting new registrations from interested people.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Did anyone get the email sent out on Monday 16th? ...
    nope.

Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Did anyone get the email sent out on Monday 16th?

I haven't had any response at all, including the many hundreds of bounced emails I expected to clog my inbox due to auto replies, changed email address, deaths, and the good old, get lost don't bother me.

So have a feeling that they didn't all go out. I received it as an Admin and moderator but that's all. Don't want to send it again if I can see that some others received it or could get pinged as spammer or just start ticking people off.

Cheers - Neil
    G’day, I got mine, it was in the junk box in outlook, I look in junk occasionally, a lot of people don’t.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.