Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Clean fuel lines, etc giants water pump

Somehow, the fuel has been contaminated with water since last summer. This is the second season for this pump so started out by siphoning out old fuel and cleaning the inside of the tank with an old singlet as it looked like there was dirt or something at the bottom of the tank. Did this a couple of times until I was satisfied it was clean. Note to self: store under cover this year.

Anyhoo, put fresh fuel in and still won't start. Spark plug is clean and working. Can see a spark when pulling the starter chord.

So, wondering if there is still some dirty fuel in between the tank and the spark plug. Does anyone know these pumps (giants 2 HP water pump) and know how to completely clean the fuel lines? The pamphlet that came with it doesn't go into that sort of detail.

I assume this is a petrol engine ?

If so it’s usually a simple system, fuel tank, gravity feed to carburettor.
    That being the case clean the tank, remove the float bowl on the carb, allow some clean fuel to flow through the feed hose from the tank.
    Anything more it will be carb removal, full disassemble so that any passages and jets can be cleaned, a sonic cleaner is the best but some throttle body and carb cleaner blasted thoughout should be enough.

Parts diagram for said carb, probably good luck with that.

Thanks droog. Yes, petrol engine. Its a simple enough design with only a few parts. I'm hoping someone out there has got there has the same model to save me pulling bits off and working backwards. Tomorrow's job now. That and build a little lean to for it. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    Somehow, the fuel has been contaminated with water since last summer. This is the second season for this pump so started out by siphoning out old fuel and cleaning the inside of the tank with an old singlet as it looked like there was dirt or something at the bottom of the tank. Did this a couple of times until I was satisfied it was clean. Note to self: store under cover this year.

Anyhoo, put fresh fuel in and still won't start. Spark plug is clean and working. Can see a spark when pulling the starter chord.

So, wondering if there is still some dirty fuel in between the tank and the spark plug. Does anyone know these pumps (giants 2 HP water pump) and know how to completely clean the fuel lines? The pamphlet that came with it doesn't go into that sort of detail.
    Does it have a primer and are you priming it 6 times ?
    Is the primer working as they sometimes don't work after a period of no use ?
    Remove the spark plug and put a small amount of fuel in the plug hole. Works for me on a machine that has not been started for a couple of months like lawn mower after winter.

no primer. I'll try the fuel directly in with the spark plug trick. when you say small amount, what are we talking here? teaspoon, tablespoon, more? less? i have a can of start you basta'd somewhere but i think that is sprayed into the carby.

no primer. I'll try the fuel directly in with the spark plug trick. when you say small amount, what are we talking here? teaspoon, tablespoon, more? less? i have a can of start you basta'd somewhere but i think that is sprayed into the carby.
    Teaspoon.

woohoo. thanks blokes. skinned a knuckle but got it running again. petrol directly into the spark plug hole did the trick.

woohoo. thanks blokes. skinned a knuckle but got it running again. petrol directly into the spark plug hole did the trick.
    If it happens again after a long period of no use you could unscrew the filter and just put the tea spoon of fuel in the carby.
    Whichever is easier.
    I often find after a period of no use the primer will not work so the fuel in carby or plug hole is enough to get it going then it should be good to go until another period of no use.