Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Mortar for rough shed floor levelling

We have a garden shed at a campsite that has had a fibreglass shower cubicle put in. There was concrete poured around the front of it but we ran short (it's a long way to the nearest town) so there is now about a 20-30mm deep hollow in front of the shower that needs to be filled and feathered into the existing concrete floor.

I'm going back there this weekend to finish this off, just wondering what to use to raise that floor? I was thinking just quick set mortar as it's cheap and easy.

Bunnings has Dunlop Ardit Rapidset Repair Mortar and similar items which look like they'd be better, but they are far more expensive and I'm guessing it would need 3 x 5kg tubs.

How about adding Bondall Bondcrete to the quickset mortar?

Any advice appreciated. It's only a rough old camping shower shed but I'd rather it didn't fall apart in the first few months of use. Whatever we put down will just be painted with paving paint.

My concreting skills aren't the best, so for a job that needs a little finesse eg feathering into existing, I wouldn't be using quickset. It'll just go off too quickly and you could be left with something else to fix up. Does it matter if it's a wetter, longer setting mix?

I'm with renovator (my concrete skills aren't great either) I wouldn't use quick set, you'll end up having to rush and something will go wrong and you'll be cursing the fact you didn't slow down just a little.

I would also try and "tie" it to the existing concrete some how (couple of masonry screw, small gal bolt etc) just to keep it in place as I can't see 20mm of feathered concrete wanting to stay in place.

rather then paving paint can you just slap a few cheap tiles over it to hide/hold it all together?

I would use Dunlop Ardit floor leveller.

You are probably looking at a tiling screed, 4 sand 1 cement. Set levels then tile, don’t Forget waterproofing. I would recommend Ardex products, water stop shop is also quite good

Thanks all, probably left my question too late as I had to leave to get it done.

Ended up just using plain mortar (not quick set) and slapped it down, troweled it smooth. Came up alright but may not last long, we'll see.

As to waterproofing - the floor is intended mostly to keep the brown snakes out, waterproofing is a bit of a lost cause. It's a camp shower shed, the shower itself is a formed fibreglass cubicle thing with a decent lip on front, moulded back and side walls, floor all in one piece. It'll do.