Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default attaching fence to uneven sandstone

hi everyone I'm looking to install some "up right" fencing atop of my existing sandstone wall.

the fence uprights attach to a base plate which I intend on bolting to the blocks.... my issue comes with the levelness of the blocks as they are all fairly out of kilter from each other. So i'm trying to come up with a few ways of sorting this out and then hiding the issue. the wall is approx 8m long

first solution: would be to some how, grind, chisel or cut a trench along the length of the top of the wall trying to get it as "flat" as possible. This would probably need to be around 30 - 40mm deep x 260mm wide, but could less or more deep depending on how much one block is out from the next. almost need something like a router sled/flattening jig to run the whole length.

second solution: wedge and pack up the base plates to the highest one, shove some grout under it and then "scribe" a piece of black aluminum to the block contours, cut it out with a grinder and attach it to the sides of the base plate, this would hide the packers and the grout making it look ALOT nicer.

third solution: ???

any idea's? personally i'm leanging towards the second solution as I can't visualise a way to easily cut or grind the channel

fence1.jpg

fence2 (1).jpg

fence3 (1).jpg

fence4 (1).jpg

Yeah, the second method, but suggest you get a very long flat RHS the width of the base plate to lay along the length and grout under that. Should make it easier to get a long uniform base.

^^ and if you wrap the RHS in builders plastic (or some other method), you should be able to remove it and just leave the grout to take the fence base plates

what about a post/stirrup/plate and then you can vary the depth of the hole you drill into the sandstone?

I have done this with limestone blocks - like this but upside down