Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Beading versus putty for windows

G'day all. I have a pair of timber french doors with timber fixed panels on each side (i.e. 2 fixed outer panels, 2 doors in the middle). Each of the four has a smaller lower glass panel (approx 600 mm square), and larger upper glass panel. I'm thinking of replacing the lower glass panels, which are 70s standard clear, non-plate, 3mm (? not sure about thickness, but done in the 70s) with tinted plate Safety glass, 6mm.
    The existing glass is fixed in the side panels with a timber mould; the rebate is maybe 25mm deep; the glass in the door panels are puttied, with a rebate of maybe 10mm deep.
    Here's the question: Can I, or should I, finish both doors and side glass panels with a timber bead, or should I stick with putty for the doors? This question is partly about effort and my sh*t puttying skills, as well as using silicon both sides of the glass from preference. Yes, it may mean a protruding bead on the windows.
    Cheers

I'll be using silicone and timber mould soon on some double hung windows soon, that are reasonably well protected by eaves, basically due to my own crap puttying skills.

Are yours protected by eaves? If not, possibly better to putty unless you'll pay attention to the timber maintenance ongoing

Yeah to the eaves, about 1500mm overhang, so OK on that score. Pretty fierce morning sun impact April-October, but at least accessible for repainting.
    Cheers

Timber bead would be ok. Puttying is a useful skill to learn and it doesn't take very long to get an acceptable level, just you will be slower than the professionals. There are some good primers on YT. I use this product rather than silicone for a glazing compound if beading. It is acrylic and accepts paint on any accidental smearing whereas silicone will not. I would leave the putty if it's in good condition or just replace any loose areas. I can tell you how to get the putty out, but it's a slow process if the putty is really sound.
    https://adheseal.com.au/products/allflex-101

Thanks mic-d. Is the Allflex for the rebate-glass join? Even if using putty I'd use silicon rather than putty as bedding material normally.

yes that's right