Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Gap in mitre joint on island bench waterfall

Afternoon all,

Our kitchen was installed 14 months ago. The benchtops are all engineered stone - Essastone. Not sure how long it's been there (can't have been there when finished) but a gap has appeared in the 45 degree mitre joint on one of the ends - it's a waterfall edge. I ran the straight edge and the vertical piece has got a slight bow outwards - probably about 2mm in the middle hence the separation.

The kitchen company was my first port of call as they did a great job and were very responsive, but they appear to have gone into liquidation.

Any idea what the recommended fix would be? Can I fill it - what with? Alternatively I might be able to find out who the stone mason was and contact them, but given my contract was with the kitchen company then I can't imagine this will go well.

Regards,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

With a very large (long) clamp or two that can span the length of the bench, along with some wood/thick plastic to protect the stone, you could see if it will gradually pull back in. If so, it would probably take some glue (get a recommendation from the stone mason), clamped until cured.

Or dekton mitred waterfalled edge used to do the same

The company came back out and refilled the epoxy in it but not too many months later the same thing happened again.

I think its just part and parcel of house movement but other then scraping out the joint and refilling i dont think there is much you can do