Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default anyone made their own linseed glazing putty?

I'm in need of a bit of tinted putty to reglaze some french doors. I've got my colour down pat with some oxide on the last of my bought stuff, now i'm wondering if there's more to making it than adding boiled linseed to whiting. I have litres of boiled linseed oil surplus thought I could get rid of a bit.

Cheers
    M

Never made it from scratch but I use powder Polyfilla to dry putty out and linseed oil if it is too dry.
    My understanding is that they are the only components required unless you want it tinted where oxide is added.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Never made it from scratch but I use powder Polyfilla to dry putty out and linseed oil if it is too dry.
    My understanding is that they are the only components required unless you want it tinted where oxide is added.
    Thanks Droog

I found video on making linseed putty. It does look like hard work to mix so they use a mixmaster. I asked She if I could use her mixmaster and was a bit dismissive that it's only chalk and linseed oil but it did not end well. So I'm hunting one on marketplace. Also the recipe in the video uses only raw linseed and another site with recipes suggests only up to 20% boiled or it goes off to fast, I don't know how fast too fast is.
    https://youtu.be/SKjLUSN-sD4?si=hEj0komlQZlWS5YY

If you need enough that you are considering purchase of a mix master to make it, I would just visit a local glazier and buy it already made.

Any decent glazier will have bulk in stock, as they use it regularly it is always fresh unlike the pre-packaged stuff at the stores. My local will tint it if required and charge much less than the pre-packaged stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    If you need enough that you are considering purchase of a mix master to make it, I would just visit a local glazier and buy it already made.

Any decent glazier will have bulk in stock, as they use it regularly it is always fresh unlike the pre-packaged stuff at the stores. My local will tint it if required and charge much less than the pre-packaged stuff.
    thanks i'll ask my glazier

It’s actually very easy to mix the putty. I did a trial small mix (132g) this afternoon by hand with boiled linseed and I’ll see what tomorrow brings. It may be handy to mix as I need and have it go off quicker than commercial stuff. I pulled out my raw linseed oil and it’s very old and viscous and partly polymerised so it’ll be interesting to try it too.

I've done it. It works fine!

I have tried both boiled and raw now and they are very different. Makes me think that the use of raw is not because the boiled goes off faster. The boiled creates a non-Newtonian fluid and must add more whiting, but it makes a ‘dead’ mix. It’s not very pliable (breaks). Still, it was the easier of the two to mix and tooled off just fine. With the raw, the putty was much more alive and pliable, like the commercial stuff, though bloody sticky to mix up. A little raw linseed in the boiled batch, along with a bit more whiting made it much better. The effect difference between the two is a bit similar to the difference between mortar made with washed sand and clayed sand.