Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Sourcing cheaper priced paint?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to fix the window sill in the bathroom but upon pricing for some paint, primarily Bunnings, my lord it's quite expensive.
    I had a look on Facebook & found a couple of sellers selling paint cheaply. Why? I'm not sure, I suspect damaged tins that didn't meet manufacturer quality control, but it could be anything really.

I'm probably going to have to get enough paint for all window sills around the house, primarily for the outside, but my question is, does anyone know any place that sells paint cheaper than what you get from box-stores?

I tried cheaper paints on a couple of different occasions, I am now back with my favourite brand as I was not impressed with the results.

Same colour on same material, 4 coats of cheaper brand and could still see colour casts. Swapped to my go to brand and fully covered with 2 coats.

The brand names cost about the same and in a lot of cases the green shed is about as good a price as anywhere. I still use a paint shop (if opening hours allow) due to the service and quality advice.

My opinion is you get what you pay for, buying in bulk saves cost.

Have a look at Haymes or Luxury Paints. Both are Australian made and owned. Haven't used exterior grade from them but I found the coverage of Haymes very good and Luxury paint is very low vapour, which for me is a big thing because other paint brands leave me croaky for days after application.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    I tried cheaper paints on a couple of different occasions, I am now back with my favourite brand as I was not impressed with the results.
    The brand names cost about the same and in a lot of cases the green shed is about as good a price as anywhere. I still use a paint shop (if opening hours allow) due to the service and quality advice.
    My opinion is you get what you pay for, buying in bulk saves cost.
    Oh, I don't mean cheaper paints, I mean brand-name like Dulux, Taubmans, Brittish Paints etc.. paint just seems rather expensive, so I was hoping perhaps there was a place I wasn't aware of that was more reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d View Post
    Have a look at Haymes or Luxury Paints. Both are Australian made and owned. Haven't used exterior grade from them but I found the coverage of Haymes very good and Luxury paint is very low vapour, which for me is a big thing because other paint brands leave me croaky for days after application.
    Thanks for the suggestion mic-d, I'll check them out .

Depending on your locality, there are generally plenty of sellers on Market Place or Gumtree who are selling partially used quality paints. Typically these are painters who have left over tins from projects and just take them home until they can't move any longer so start to sell them. Often you see the popular interior colours, but you could get lucky and get a decent quantity of exterior paint if you look around.