Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Products to use on (raw? matte?) Rosewood cabinet

I have a Chinese rosewood cabinet. Unlike a Rosewood table that I have, it does not have a polished/lacquered look to it and I am not sure what the finish is - whether it is raw or perhaps just a stain. Photos attached.

I want to keep the Rosewood in a nice and lustruous condition. I am unsure of the appropriate products to use - whether it is appropriate to apply oil, wax, Orange Oil or something else. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

20221003_150608.jpg20221003_150617.jpg

Hello Mithrandir

I wouldn't pus any oil onto that piece, oil won't make it any brighter or more lustrous. but will almost definitely darken the colour quite dramatically.

Best I can offer you is to have a go with Traditional Wax but try it in an inconspicuous place to make sure it doesn't pull off any of the stain (if indeed it is stained).

The wax may darken the piece a bit when first applied but as the solvent flashes off and you buff it up it should come back to what it is now and will definitely give you a a much more lustrous finish.

Hope this is of some help to you and not too late.

Cheers - Neil

Neil, what about White Hard Shellac? That will brighten without colouring.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Should be fine, the shellac will stick like poop to a blanket over almost anything but I reckon it will darken the piece dramatically as to me it looks like it may just be raw wood. However not knowing what might possibly be on it could cause problems down the track.

On the other hand he wants it "in a nice and lustrous condition" rather than a shine so Traditional Wax should be the best bet and should bring up a really nice lustrous finish without the bright shine or dramatically darkening the piece that I reckon will happen with the shellac

To top it all off the wax will be infinitely more easy to work to a bright, lustrous, finish than the Hard Shellac. Without any experience using shellac it could end up being a complete and utter mess and almost impossible to repair if it does end up like that.

Even I would be a little bit wary of shellacking it.

I can see a couple of coats of the Trad Wax rubbed on and buffed off looking really nice. The carved areas can be done with natural bristle brush and buffed and should come up a treat. Then a follow-up waxing in 6 months time should just top it off beautifully. Have or should say had a large, pine, kitchen dresser done like that some 30 years ago and still looks great today even though it lives with someone else now.

Cheers