Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Unhappy Help - before I go mad!!!!!

I need help big time and hope the experienced finishers dont roll their eyes when they read this . And please dont point me towards "A Polishers Handbook" cause it isnt in my budget- yet.

I am working both with olive wood, making simple pen holders and candlestick holders and also eucalypt burls making bowls, without a lathe. Currently I am sanding to 1500grit, using wait for it.............."olive oil"............not really, using Raw linseed oil then waxing them. I get a fair finish but am looking for something slightly glossier. I have tried cabothane but due to poor brushwork the finish was very uneven and streaky. I have read all the infromation I can get (limited budget so mainly a friends collection of woodworking mags) and am even more confused than when I started.

Here is a list of the product I have, can anyone suggest a mix that will give me a wipe on, semi to high gloss finish. Also for when I have a better bank balance is there any product that is relatively easy to apply that will do the trick.

Hope that isnt tooooo confusing
    prove how bored u really are, ..... visit....... http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/ my humble website

Default silllly me

fotgot to list what I have.

Raw Linseed Oil
    Turps
    Kero
    white spirits
    Cabothane -gloss varnish
    bees wax
    paraffin wax
    prove how bored u really are, ..... visit....... http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/ my humble website

Sorry to say this, but you can't afford not to have the book in you budget...And get some of Neils products at the same time, you'll be super impressed when you do...

Default Re Cry for Help

Rowan,
    I have been seriously W/W for only 18-24 months.
    My lessons have been, on occasions, expensive, when I have gone ahead without good advice.
    Fortunately, I have a circle of "experts" who have been willing to give advice - However, failing having such good fortune, get yourself a good bible - written by someone who thro' this B/B will answer all your questions.
    When I was back teaching, I used to say "Read it. do it, and learn from it"
    regards
    mick