Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How do I? Door frame dilema

Okay blokes as Im about to get over a severe case of "avoiditatallcostsitis" well some of it anyway Im not goin near the bathroom yet!!! :eek: or the new floor in the bedroom either... mmm to say nothing of the new verandah out the back or the levee banks down at the creek... in fact Im gonna just do this before I buggar of back to work again

Im about to embark on something Ive never done before and Im wondering how to go about it

So when the flood came through it forced the front door out of its frame... and now she wants me to replace it with a new door shes bought... trouble is the new door is smaller than the old one! and no returns on this fella she stated "I want kookaburras in the glass panels" so she went and got kookaburras in the glass panels and "damnit Shane you can sort it so I gets koookaburras in the glass panels of my front door" sigh

So now Ive got an existing door thats 860mm wide and a new door thats 830mm wide... now the door frame is cracked at the top so I probably should replace the whole thing but theres this light switch see right on the inside beading of the existing frame... I for various reasons Im not going into do not go near power or light switches other than to turn them on or off... so I was thinking (exceedingly dangerous habit that)

What if... I take of the centre strip of the frame and fit a cut to size board of Jarrah to the frame underneath that which would then with a tad of in situ planing make the frame the right size for the new door then reattach the strip?

Okay so the door goes to the lock and the door butts to the strip strip being in the middle of the frame means that the front door and flyscreen door meet at the strip (this strip is 1 1/2in wide by 1/4in thick and goes around the entire frame)

Or do I have to bite the bullet and make a totally new frame? and hire a bloody leccy to do the light

Cheers!!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Just build the new frame and redo the switch yourself. Wiring is not that hard just make sure you put the wires in the right spot!!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

adding a 15mm strip to either side of your new door is also an option.
    if the door is to be painted that's the easiest solution, if it's stained then adding a strip with a contrasting colour to the doors veneer can also look good.

and being a light switch it is extremely simple - two wires that simply make a connection - the only thing you might do is put the switch back upsoide down - so don't

have fun
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Whew you blokes have way more faith in me an lectrizity than I or anyone around here has!! :eek:

So heres my thinking... as theres a fair whack of room Ive got to make up with the frame door connection Im thinking get rid of the centre strip grab a length of jarrah 8x1 and fit it along the side where the door latches marking out the run of the power lead to the light switch then plane it down to the right thickness bang in some nails (careful with the run of the lectrizity of course) reattach the centre strip bung on some paint and whack the door on the hinges and... whalla no need to go anywhere near the ruddy lectrizity!!.

Well it makes sence doesnt it?

Last time I did anything with lectrical leads I couldnt see one from the other "oi watch out for the red one!!" "mmm this ones red???" seriously color blind here!!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Listen here ya useless excuse fer a bloody sandgropin', boat buggerin' wombat..... take the easy way out, pay me to come over and fix it.... one way will do cos I've had enough of this joint.

Flamin eck yer bloody wombat eating numbat!! :eek: yer comin over ere? WHAAFOR??????? :mad: And since yer no longer gots the knuts to fix young Violet yer gronicle crunchin excuse for a roos earole bring the friggin boat with yer!!