Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 10" (250-260mm) SCMS Purchase

I'm currently considering the purchase of a SCMS, having been wanting one for years, now is probably a good as time as any to get one...

I haven't got a huge amount of work planned that needs one right now (replace some decking, construct a large desk with a glass tabletop, posibly some maintence to to wooden house such as weatherboards and window frames)
    So im looking for something that will last.

Also they arn't cheap im looking at a Makita, the LS1013.
    But there is also a LS1013F-2 , which is cheaper and has a light.

Can anyone tell me what the other differences are?

Ive read that the LS1013 isn't going to remain a current model that much longer, so does that imply the LS1013F-2 is a better/newer saw?

Also checked at three hardware stores locally none have a LS1013 (2 have a display model) and 1 has a LS1013F-2 .
    Bunnings said they were getting some more in soon, but with the current freight holdup with Customs ive been hearing about on the news that could be a while away.

Are there any other models/brands i should be considering... e.g. Bosch, DeWalt, Hitachi

Another thing.. ive noticed other brands such as GMC (yeah a cheapo brand) have 2400watt motors in some of their SCMS , whereas the 10" Makitas only have a 1430watt, Is the GMC just way over powered, or is the 1430watt motor in the Makita just a better motor thus dosnt need to have 1000watts more power?

With mitre saws, if you want one ot last, stick with the name brands. Makita, Bosch and Hitachi all make pretty good 10" SCMSs. They generally have much smoother sliding motion are are generally more accurate, and retain their accuracy. For the odd job or DIY use, the cheaper brands can be ok (if you add a better blade) but the saws like the Makita have earned their good reputation for a reason

As for motor power, I've rarely bogged a mitre saw down making any cut, so 1430w vs 2400w doesnt make a whole lot of difference in my opinion. Well, one will cost you that little more every time you put it in motion I guess electricity wise
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

G'day
    I'd strongly recommend that you choose a brand with both a reputation - and a double bar arrangement. Many of the lower cost jobs have just a single bar, and are consequently prone to inaccuracies.

Spending, say $200, on a pice of garbage is $200 wasted, spending some more on a decent bit of kit will last a long time - and save much grief when actually using it.

Cheers!

as a wag said to Julius Ceaser, welcome to the forum...

To make your task harder ...
    I've got a Makita LS1013 with an 80 tooth Makita blade which I've had for about 7 years
    My dad has the Sherwood clone with a 60 tooth blade which he's had about a year
    I cringe every time I fire dad's up, it's just not as smooth as the Makita.
    However, if I'd never used the Makita I'd be happy with the Sherwood.
    BTW, the mitre saw stand supplied by Timbercon seems quite good.

Lastly, rather than a hardware you might want to find a tool dealer/repairer and ask his advice

ian
    Last edited by ian; 23rd October 2005 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammer spelling oh wow

I went thru this very exercise a few months ago and even managed to borrow or at least use every brand available in WA and finally decided on the Makita 1013.

It is really worth every cent you have to pay for it. It is the quietest of all the saws, has the longest cross cut of the 10" saws and the quality is great. It works like advertised and the dedents for all the angles on mine are perfect. I did the setup check and found out everything was spot on.

I was verytempted by the Dewalt. Collie and Sons had it at $999 with $100 rebate making it $899 and Bunnies was willing to match and beat by 10% making it just over $800! But it was so noisy! I feel that the Makita was worth the extra $$

As with Alfred - I found the dewalt with it's belt drive far too noisy - probably the same dB as most others but more nuisance noise (annoying frequency).I've got a LS1013 and can't fault it. If I were to buy again tomorow it'd be a toss up between another 1013 and a hitachi. Beer money well saved and spent.

I have an LS1013 and was and remain in awe at the repeatedly accurate cuts, the smoothness of action, the original makita blade sold with the saw makes very clean cuts .
    My minor gripes are the clamps to secure the work on the cutting table are a bit fiddly if the dimensions of your timber change from cut to cut,changing the blade is a bit tricky which I notice because I swap
    between aluminium cutting and timber blades once a fortnight and the dust collection system is not the most efficient ,so much so i cut with the saw outdoors and clean it up with compressed air at the end of the day.

It looks like the negatives out number the positive points but I stress that
    I would not hesitate to buy another if I had the choice again because the quality of the cuts is sooo good. It quickly became my favourite tool because it made me feel like i was doing professional work.

A chippie friend of mone who uses his De walt for regular domestic framework construction is very happy with his dewalt.

The differences at this high end of the market are probably at the margin rather than differences of substance.

I bought a GMC sabre saw recently to demolish a timber framed garage and based on that brief but telling experience I would hesitate to buy GMC for important work which you want done reliably quickly and repeatedly unless somebody I trust recommends I buy that GMC product

I agree with all of the above, however, you have to ask yourself how often will you actually use it.
    I do a bit of hobby woodworking and recently bought the GMC SCMS 10 inch....i really cant fault it and trust me i looked hard enuff. Fair enuff, it needs a decent blade but with simple cross cuts the blade that came with it performed admirably.
    All angles were right on the money too.
    That being said i havent had the luxury of trying any of the top end machines.

If you plan to use it all day every day...go top end.....if it is for occasional use...try the GMC.

The GMC offers 2 years trade/home use guarantee and a 30 day return, no questions asked........if only the top end brands had as much faith in their products!!!

Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

I agree, makita probably make the best scms there is. Ive had a ls1011 for about 10-11 years and have never had anything go wrong with it. I give it a thorough clean every 6 months or so and spraw wd40 on it every now an then and its good as new.. Havent even changed the brushes once in 10 years and i use it on the job at least once a week. Magnificent saw.
    stef

I started with a Ryobi cheapy & got really sick of that really quickly. I now have a Mak LS1214 & it's a great saw, very accurate & should last many years looked after properly. As others have said spend a few extra dollars now & you'll have no regrets long term.

Reg

As much as I dislike promoting "cheap" wares, I'm actually quite impressed with my GMC SCMS.

I bought it around 18-20 months ago to frame out a house, reasoning that it could stay onsite as it'd be no great loss if it was knocked off (although I would have been peeved) and with the warranty it should last long enough to see the job through, paying for itself in the process.

It has since seen out 2 other house frames, has mitred all the arch's, etc in fitting out those houses and built a set of kitchen & wet area cabinets. It's still cutting as accurately as could be desired, although the initial blade was a piece of crap, but since replacing that I've had no problems whatseoever with it.

As I said, I'm impressed! I'm guessing it'll die soon without prior warning; the warranty period's almost up. But guess what I'll replace it with?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Hi

Well I have to add MY vote for the Makita LS1013. Wow! I did not realise it was SOOOO popular here, thought I understand why that is

I looked then and look occasionally now, and still have not seen anything better than the LS1013 for all round capability. If I had to replace it, I would do so with another LS1013, well maybe its bigger brother th LS1214

BTW when I first bought the LS1013, I used it to mitre cut some 12" WIDE mdf (mitred across the width) I cut four pieces and may a 12"x12"x12" planter box. Joined the corners with biscuits and with ease, obtained a neat exact 45 deg mitre on all corners, MAGIC!!!
    Kind Regards

Peter

I looked very hard at the new GMC twin rail 10" model and it did most things pretty well, except for trenching.

As I reported in another post, the rail is not parallel to the bed, so the front of the trench and the back of the trench cut to a different depth.

Good saw if you do not need it to trench.

As for the Makita, yes, I would buy another.

Ahhh! good to hear even more good reports of the LS1013, i think i'll be getting the LS1013F-2 (with the light) for $959 as the only place i can find locally that has a half decent price only has the F-2 model.

And although ive seen it cheaper elsewhere.. freight is the killer so looks like i'll have to get it locally (for the above mentioned price)

Although now im looking at the price difference between that and a LS1214 (12" model)... and for how much the 10" model is.. makes me wonder if its worth spending even more for 2" extra...

Only downside i could see is the 12" blades would cost more, oh and the wallet will feel it more...

Mate Ive had the LS1013 for 7 years or so. If I were buying now I would buy the LS1214. The old LS1212 had a small table so I bought the 1013.

Either way you cant lose.