Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goodies fans

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    And that was a walk in the black forrest, you are listening to Radio Caroline.....

"Radio Caroline", an old barge anchored on the Mersy over Brighton way I think?.
    savage(Eric)
    No, mate. Radio Caroline was a ship, anchored just off the Isle of Man and just outside British territorial waters. This enabled the crew to broadcast pop and rock music (and commercials) 24/7 into the UK. Had they been inside British waters, they would have been contravening the broadcasting laws of the time.

They operated very successfully for a few years and built up a big following. Then the British government bowed to popular demand, changed the regs and the BBC started to broadcast pop and rock full time. This was the start of Radio One and a rash of smaller regional radio stations. Most of the DJs who had been working for Caroline (and a couple of other pirate stations) were employed by the Beeb to host their new music broadcasts.
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    If anyone wants to make a night of it I game.

Im going to wear my hairy chaps, and bring my tomatoe shaped sauce bottle, for the show down, hombrae.

Al
    See you there in my spurs, palooka...

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Didn't some of the pirate stations also set up on some of the WW2 forts in the English Channel??
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Ecky Thump?

My Mum made Black Pudding so black even the white bits were black............

Anyone have a Derek and Clive recording by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver
    No, mate. Radio Caroline was a ship, anchored just off the Isle of Man and just outside British territorial waters. This enabled the crew to broadcast pop and rock music (and commercials) 24/7 into the UK. Had they been inside British waters, they would have been contravening the broadcasting laws of the time.

They operated very successfully for a few years and built up a big following. Then the British government bowed to popular demand, changed the regs and the BBC started to broadcast pop and rock full time. This was the start of Radio One and a rash of smaller regional radio stations. Most of the DJs who had been working for Caroline (and a couple of other pirate stations) were employed by the Beeb to host their new music broadcasts.
    Well, I knew it was something like that, very controversial in the day, I was only 10 yrs old when brought to OZ, funny how I remember stuff like that but can't remember yesterday. Must be short term memory loss, can't wait till yesterday is history I might find my car keys!:confused: ...Ha!Ha!...
    savage(Eric)
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

My Mum made Black Pudding so black even the white bits were black......
    Hey, that's my line!!!

Eric, Eric Olthwaite, King of Denley Moor.

The Goodies and Monty Python did come from the same roots (or is that Hoots?). I bet they kick themselves whenever they see Michael Palin drive past in his Porsche A bit like being the original Beatles drummer.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Didn't some of the pirate stations also set up on some of the WW2 forts in the English Channel??
    Iain - yes, I think you're right. However, that would have been down South, of course, and therefore of very little interest to us stalwart Northerners (That's how you pronounce Scouse Git where I come from, incidentally. Repeat after me: 'Stalwart Northerner').
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

:d:d:d
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.