Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing and grain filling red cedar

Hi. I'm about to finish a project in Aus. red cedar and am wondering about the best way to finish it. In the past, I have just put on several coats of varnish, sanding back between each one. I am quite happy with the gloss level going this way, and I also prefer the way it darkens the timber as this is the effect I want. My problem is that the grain is fairly porous and this is showing through - the top coat is dimpled where the grain is (I presume) sucking up the varnish.

I did a search (of course) and saw that others have recommended using shellac. My questions are:
    1. does the shellac have grain filling properties. If not, how do I fill the grain. Because of the shape of the object, doing a large number of coats and rubbing back between is not practical. I dont mind doing two or three coats, but not more.
    2. should I put varnish over the shellac. If I dont, will the shellac finish be durable? Also, will the shellac finish darken the wood -I want it quite dark so it matches other furniture.
    3. is there any other recommendation for finishing cedar?

thanks
    Arron

You really need Neil's bible on this, but here goes:

1. Not much. You do need multiple coats. A grain filler like Timbermate could be used after the first wash coat of shellac.
    2. Ordinary shellac will darken the wood - spray on a bit of water and then imagine one shade darker to get an idea. Hard shellac is reasonably durable, esp. when finished with a quality wax over the top.
    3. Some pro's spray on varnish (or lacquer, not sure which) - must be quicker.

Shellac is the trad. finish for our cedar. I find it easy to use but not so easy to get a good finish with - but then I only brush it on.
    Cheers, Ern

So if shellac doesnt fill grain, changes the colour of the wood, isnt very durable and isnt very easy to apply then what advantages does it have over varnish ? Doesnt sound like it has any ?

I assume a product like timbermate would change the look of the timber substantially - giving it a muddy look - is that so ?

thanks
    Arron

Timbermate can be diluted a bit and used as a grain filler. Wipe across the grain so very little is left.

Although if you're prepared to build up with a finish as you suggested you shouldn't need it. You might need to brush across the grain or wipe on a few coats to help fill it.

Advantages to shellac? If it was an antique you wanted to restore, I guess it's the expected finish. It can be made quite durable with a ubeaut hard shellac top coat or two. In expert hands it can produce a deep lustrous finish.

But it's a lot of work. Go for varnish by all means. If you wanted to deepen the colour of the cedar, a coat or two of dilute shellac will do it and make your piece look more like people expect cedar to look.
    Cheers, Ern

Great, thanks for clarifying that.

Arron

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    So if shellac doesnt fill grain, changes the colour of the wood, isnt very durable and isnt very easy to apply then what advantages does it have over varnish ? Doesnt sound like it has any ?
    Shellac is a more traditional finish than varnish and has a different feel. If you don't want the timber to darken too much you can use blonde shellac. It is really good when you don't want the colour to change much. It can also be used in conjuction with normal golden shellac too achieve varying grade of colour.

For fine work, I would choose shellac over varnish any day. The look and feel of shellac is far more interesting.
    Have a nice day - Cheers