Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Painting or powder coating my jointer

I have this big honk of metal which must become a jointer again. Bought from a fellow forum member who acid-dipped it and then weathered it for a few years . It's a CTJ-350, and will get a spiral cutter head when it grows up.

I'm trying to decide how to make it pretty again. I'm not fussed with making it look original - I doubt carbatec will become a classic antique.

I don't mind getting stuck in with a paint brush, but thought I'd explore some less time-consuming options too as I seem to be doing a thousand things at once. I'm a foreign devil, so no idea what these things cost in Straya.

Thought of powder coating. Got a quote for $350 from one lot which seems like quite a bit - definitely not worth spending that much on it. Might see if there are any spray painters around newcastle/

Any ideas? Is that powder coating price to be expected?

I do have a compressor, and possibly a gun lying about somewhere, but I suspect it's not a great starting/learning project (and that won;t be doing any time-saving either!)

The cabinet is approx. 1000 long x 550 deep x 650 high; two side panels.

IMG_9483.jpg . IMG_9485.jpgIMG_9486.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I find this to be very durable on metal surfaces and you can touch it up if needed
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/white-kn...paint_p1567108

comes in brush on as well, Dulux makes their version as well which is just as good

3. Thanks Bernmc thanked for this post
    Likes aldav liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That price you got isn't too bad, you're not being ripped off. There is a reasonable amount of work in getting it powder coated, getting it spotlessly clean, wiping down with a cleaner, hanging it on a rack, powdercoating, oven time for the powder to cook/cure, then removing it after it has cooled down from around 200 degrees C.
    I think you'll find getting someone to spray paint it will be around the same sort of $$$$$, could even be more.
    If you didn't want to spend that sort of money, and you aren't fussed about the finish, grab some pressure pak cans and have a go, you'll need to give it a good undercoatfirst.
    HTH
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

5. Thanks Bernmc thanked for this post
    Likes Simplicity liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for White Knight epoxy. It's tough. Although I don't think much of the idea of spraying it over rust, which seems to be what Bunnings is suggesting.

7. Thanks Bernmc, Stephen Taylor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aldav View Post
    +1 for White Knight epoxy. It's tough. Although I don't think much of the idea of spraying it over rust, which seems to be what Bunnings is suggesting.
    I find this product good to prep the surface

https://www.bunnings.com.au/chemtech...mover_p1107356

9. Thanks Bernmc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Molasses bath with electrolysis will get rid of the rust. Quite a few people use it on cast iron camp ovens.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Wood Collector, the Molasses bath will get the rust off. Then just spray it with a Rustoleum type product and your good to go! The powder coating will certainly be a lot more durable that painting though.
    If you have a compressor and gun around have a go at spraying it yourself. It isn't all that hard to do and it is quite satisfying.