Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Kapur - what surface treatment is needed?

I am building outdoor stairs of kapur, which is said to be resistant against most things except soil.
    Can anyone tell me what (if any) precautions I should take when/before assembling the stair; both kapur/kapur, kapur/treated pine (used under decking), and kapur/galvanised steel?
    Further, should I use decking oil - or anything - on the stairs?

Will be watchin this thread with close attention as Ive just started working with Kapur... interesting grain and hard as buggary... the resistance thing is why Ive chosen it for the keel of a boat and the fact that the Malays and other Indos have been using it for that reason for centuries helped!

Good luck with the stairs mate they should look the ducks knuts when your done
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

I haven't played with kapur in years; I worked for a while in a joinery that used it mainly for door sills. Heavy and very hard-wearing... perfect for sills.

When working with it, be wary of two things: it's one of those woods where splinters infect easily and it also stains the hands after a few hours of handling freshly cut surfaces. That's the way I remember it being anyway.

A decking oil would be a good idea, it's not the prettiest wood when naturally weathered.

Oh yeah... it plays havoc with tools. Be prepared to do a lot of sharpening!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!!
    When working with it, be wary of two things: it's one of those woods where splinters infect easily and it also stains the hands after a few hours of handling freshly cut surfaces. That's the way I remember it being anyway.

Oh yeah... it plays havoc with tools. Be prepared to do a lot of sharpening!
    Thanks, I have already noticed the splinters. Two fingers infected so far. :eek:
    I used a cheap jigsaw on it - but had to upgrade. Since I did not think of just better blades, I bought a quite nice jigsaw, too.

Decking oil on visible surfaces, ok. But do I need to protect the kapur against the treated pine?

Quote Originally Posted by occam
    ... But do I need to protect the kapur against the treated pine?
    Of course you do!! That pine is real nasty stuff to other timbers specially that treated type... and with foreign timber well its downright murderous! :eek:

Sorry couldnt resist
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by occam
    Decking oil on visible surfaces, ok. But do I need to protect the kapur against the treated pine?
    No, there's no need but if it makes you feel happier...

IF I was a rich man with plenty of time on my hands, I'd like to try oiling all the surfaces of the decking during assembly. But then again I'd also like to try my hand at hand-cut secret dovetailing of all joints, inlaying the railings with ebony stringing and pearl inlay, generally making a white elephant.

But it'd be my white elephant.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc