Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Help Selecting Seat Foam

I am restoring a antique parlor chair and I was wondering what grade foam I should use for the seat cushion. The seat originally had plant fiber, horse hair, and a cotton pad in it. And the cushion has coil springs underneath it. I am new to all of this so I'd appreciate your patience Thanks in advance!
    I attached some pics of the chair
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would strengthen the frame a bit then use elastic webbing instead of springs... As a cushion I would use HR32-90 foam (about 100mm thick)
    That will give you nice comfy bouncy feel and it will last quite a while...
    Alen

IMHO any foam is a waste of your time and effort. They all feel bad and dont last. If you still have it wash the original filling and reuse it for a more authentic and longer lasting seat. They always used to rewas and rstuff the horsehair regularly. It lasts forever, foam does not.

Now that's going to help me avoid another restoration mistake. After reading your comment I did some reading and found I'll be happy to take the horse hair stuffing and cleaning it for reuse. I'm even thinking I can build some stock from old wrecked furniture (unless I can rebuild it) to use on furniture where people have already thrown it away. Great advice, thank you.