Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Tinnies

Default Tinnies

While pondering MathewA's tenuous grasp on the way we communicate, I happened to catch sight of a couple of fellows fishing while seated in a small boat and drinking beer.

Curiously I thought, if it suddenly sprung a leak, they would have been sinking tinnies in a sinking tinnie.

Which brings me to my question:

Why, in this country, is aluminium spelt T I N?

Cheers,

P

Well at least it's not spelt aluminum

Interestingly, the scientist that discovered/identified the stuff DID spell it Aluminum. Scientists may be 'smart' but they can't invent words for peanuts.

Well, if they did call it alooooominum, why did they change it that time?

LithIUM, titanIUM, uranIUM, beryllIUM, potassIUM, etc, etc.

Also, why is it that here, it is also called aluminium? It would be much easier to bash it out the yankified way, but they don't.

A-ru-mi-ni-u-mu.

A-ru-mi-nu-mu.

Why go to the extra effort if it's wrong?

No, I haven't checked and I don't care. It's freakin' ally.

Same stuff tinnies are made from. Therefore it has the same name.

And the Seppo's have dificulty spelling, thats why they leave the U out of colour and

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wilson
    1) You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium." Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour'; skipping the letter 'U' is nothing more than laziness on your part. Likewise, you will learn to spell ‘doughnut' without skipping half the letters. You will end your love affair with the letter 'Z' pronounced 'zed' not 'zee') and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the suffix "ise." You will learn that the suffix 'burgh' is pronounced 'burra' e.g. Edinburgh. You are welcome to re-spell Pittsburgh as 'Pittsberg' if you can't cope with correct pronunciation. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up vocabulary." Using the same thirty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "uhh", "like", and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed." There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old enough to cope with bad language then you shouldn't have chat shows. When you learn to develop your vocabulary, then you won't have to use bad language as often
    Mick

avantguardian

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Whew, I'm so glad Midge was only making an assumption. When I saw the title of this thread, I was scared that Midge was thinking of leaving the path or purity and light and buying a tinny himself :eek:

Now, if they were sinking tinnies in a sinking tinny, what do you do in a sinking woodie :confused:

Richard

Judging by the number of bottles of red on Midge's kitchen counter on Sunday sinking things and dead mariners was not a problem

Now for you officionados - you need to recognise the difference between "sinking a tinnie" and "a sinking tinnie"

The first is an obligation and the latter is an option

I'm a whore when it comes to the first and a virgin on the other
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

what do you do in a sinking woodie
    Leaving that one alone....
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    Now, if they were sinking tinnies in a sinking tinny, what do you do in a sinking woodie :confused:

Richard
    Isn't that what that advertising thing is about?? :confused:

"Crack a big Woodie"
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill