View Poll Results: Does an owner builder save money ?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 60.00%
  • no

12 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The stuff you learn here!

I've obviously been mis-informed. I was given the original info by an architect friend. $1-2K is not a lot, but wouldn't the cost of the insurane be $$ pro rated on the value of the project?

Silent, if its not intrusive may I ask the value of your work the $1400 applied to? I see you are in NSW, somewhere near ?Nimmitabel, by your co-ordinates. Is the relevant legislation local, state or Federal?

I think this is the best news I've had today and would change my vote on saving $$ by DIY to yes.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

I should have added a couple of caveats to that. It was about 4 years ago in Sydney and it was only a reno, which was something like $40,000 (even though it didn't cost that much but that was what the council estimated it at for the purpose of fees ) It might turn out to be a lot more than that for a whole house. My point is that it wasn't hard to get and it wasn't that expensive as a percentage of the cost of building.

However, if you don't plan to sell the place in a hurry, it's not even a consideration. We just factored it in to the price we got for the house. The only down side is that we have it hanging over our heads until the warranty runs out.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Does an owner builder save money? Would be NO.

Can an owner builder save money? Yes

If you have a few tools, some building skills and time then you could save some money for an equivalent job.

must admit I thought this poll would have created more interest .

How would it all work out for an OB building a kit set in a remote location. :confused:

(60K to nearest reasonable sized town.)

ps: sorry for a bit of a hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by rick_rine
    must admit I thought this poll would have created more interest .
    I think the subject has been.... Ummm, maybe, exhausted?

Next?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.