Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Stamp!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbog View Post
    Auscab,
    Could it be the client is fiendishly checking your honesty? LOL!
    HNY to all forumites cheers Redbog (Harry).
    Good point Harry . Just like I pointed out to some of the guys younger than me at the time .

HNY Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dubrosa22 View Post
    1840-41 according to this website (after that they were red):
    https://blog.arpinphilately.com/the-...ine-its-value/

Thanks dubrosa22. Interesting link.
    Rob

So , we had a memorable conversation in the workshop at the time as to what we should do about the stamp . Funny how some of the young guys were telling me to take the stamp and sell it , divide the money and all would be great ! .

Me and some of the older guys were asking, "how we would be better of having a reputation for taking/ stealing a lady's stamp for some money" , and how the truth always comes out . No such thing as secrets and all that .

So I walked 3 minutes up the road , the owner wasn't far away, with the stamp and the print out and showed her what we had found.

She had a bit of a smile and said " you do the research and sale and we can go halves in it "

"thanks very much " I said and then went and told the guys .

"We can split Our half "

The younger guys said "Wow great" and we just kept going on about being Honest.

So I sent a picture off to London Sothebys Stamp department via email .

I got a picture sent back with a description next morning.

" Its a 1970 reissue that's been cut up "

Value . not a cracker

Walked back up and told the Lady Antique dealer . Her smile from before turned into a bit of a chuckle . Lovely

After doing a few searches on ebay UK later that day I found that you can buy originals , if you can trust the sellers for not huge amounts of money.

Well spotted Franklin .

See here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpenny+black.TRS0&_nkw=penny+black&_sacat=0

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rob, now that you've provided a little more information about the owner, I wonder whom the stamp is intended in impress. your lot or the next buyer?
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

If it was put there to impress and maybe get a higher price I 'd say it was someone in the UK who stuck it in before it went to auction. Or just someone who owned it before that . Nothing to do with the Dealer here though . She had to much going on to bother. She would go to the UK and sit through a lot of the local London Auctions to fill her containers. She may have had four or five such bureaus in a load with a lot of other stuff. I went over there three times with my Dad and followed him around doing the same . He was doing it a couple of times a year. You had to be careful of what was dished up over there from the dealers . A bit like that TV show Minder. Plenty of dodgy stuff going on for the unwary back then . items converted from wardrobes and being sold as the real thing is one I was amazed at . They were cutting down Large Victorian Break front Burl Walnut Veneered Wardrobes and Making attractive corner cabinets and bookcases from them . Trying to sell them as real Victorian beauty's to the Aussie of US dealers going through.

Rob