Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: hand tools

Default hand tools

g'day all
    Anyone have advice on sources of old hand tools ( planes , chisels etc ) in Sydney or online in Oz ? I'm after users not collectables. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do the garage sale run around on Saturday mornings.
    Any info on dealers or regular markets willbe much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ben

Question

G'day Ben - Every Sunday in Melb there are Trash 'N' Treasure markets held in dozens of locations. There are always hundreds if not thousands of 2nd hand tools available at them. They are usually pretty well advertised in local and weekend papers.

Surely Sydney must have something along the same lines. Second hand tool sellers just can't resist them.

Cheers - Neil.

Same thing in Brisbane - check out the Saturday paper under Markets.

Speaking of which, I went to the Rocklea markets on Sunday in brisbane for the first time. Wow, talk about lots of hardware stalls. Picked up some New 500mm draw slides for $2 as set!
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/

Ben,

there are markets every Sunday morning at Blacktown Drive In. Sort of like a garage sale, you pay your money and you can set up a stall or $2 and go in for a browse. I am a local and used to go up there when I had nothing better to do. Sold there a couple of times too, worth the effort!

There is another one on Camden Valley Way at Prestons, I think it is "Bargins Bazzar" or something but I don't know what days it is on.

Beware the junk and the rip off merchants.

Jon

On the Central Coast there are at least a couple of markets which regularly have tools for sale.

At Toukley Markets (every Sunday morning) there are 3 guys I know of
    - one does more metal machinists stuff (though I was tempted by a surface plate for $10)
    - one will talk your legs off, doesn't have much of a range, but occasionally has gems. I've picked up some good quality chisels ("Two Cherries") for $1 each. Last week he had a set of about 30+ wooden moulding planes in all sorts of profiles, and had enough sense to only want to sell them as a complete set.
    - the third guy has much more stuff, but you'll never get a bargain from him! Wants top dollar for everything (unless he's buying!). I've heard he keeps all the good stuff for a big once-a-year market down south somewhere.

Morriset Markets (1st Sunday of each month ?) had quite a few people selling tools. The range and quantity was very variable though ....

I think it's worth your while to check out the garage sale scene - I've found an old couple a couple of blocks away who only rarely have an "official" garage sale, but their entire garage, side of house and back shed is permanently chockers with sorted and priced tools, furniture, wood, bits of metal, and of course, heaps of junk. Once you know about them, you can drop over any time, and search through their clutter if you want something. A couple of times it's been quicker, easier and cheaper to walk down the road and grab something for $2 than to fire up the car for a trip to Bunnies.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Anyone know of suitable markets for old planes, etc in Perth? I'm fed up with relying on ebay!!

Thanks

Derek