Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 reno problems

It could be no flashing or weep ho;es over the window or you don’t have an ant-pooling fibro and the end of the rafters, it could be heaps of things I would check them all.
    Try taking some titles of the roof to look in between the wall cavity to see if you have flashing over the window, it's not a easy thing to pin point<O</O

A dehumidifier only fixes the symptoms not the problem.
    All I know there should not be moisture like you have inside the windows, if you can't find why I get someone in like a damp expert cause that crap ain't good for you. I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    I do spend a bit of time under the house especially when my mother in law visits, take my tools down there, pretend to be busy and as she is beginning to leave (I know because I can hear most of the conversations from down there), I'll come up.
    Well there you are..there's the source of all that moisture. Its the cold sweat you break out into as soon as you learn your MIL is on the way for a visit.

One trick I learnt from my Japanese wife that you can try.....if you leave an upturned broom in your entranceway it drives away unwelcome visitors. Believe it or not it does seem to work. When visitors ask you why youve got an upturned broom in your entranceway...you tell them why its there...and they leave.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Auspicious, sorry my terminology is not what it should be. I have confused weep holes with those ventilators ie those thin metal grids that measure about 150 by 150. I have just looked up weep holes in a book, I wasn't sure what they were. Don't know if this makes a difference to your analysis.

Kiwigeo, an upturned broom won't scare my mother in law away, she has ridden many an upturned broom in her time. Maybe though I could use the upturned broom to support the pergola while I add the other beam.....

Weep holes are mortar that has been left out in between bricks to let any water out that might get into the cavity from around the windows at the bottom and water that could get in from above the window, mainly from rain soaking the bricks and then water will run down the inside of the brick onto the flashing over the window and be let out of the weep holes. (if you have flashing) sometime things like this are left out by mistake the water could run onto the window frame and run down the sides of the window inside the cavity

Usually 3 or 4 holes top and bottom

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style=" 6in; 480.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\nando\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:title="Picture _0">
    </v:imagedata></v:shape>

Thanks, Auspicious, I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I have any weep holes, from memory I think they're there.

Default Another update

Can now confirm that the gal pipe is definitely a gas pipe. Any thoughts on replacing this sort of pipe. Is it safe to work with if you bleed the gas, and how would you do this? I would be replacing it with 3/4 inch copper pipe.
    Last edited by Tiger; 21st September 2005 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Incorrect grammar

Some things are not worth doing yourself. IMHO this is one of them. You can do all the prep work yourself, but get a plumber gasfitter in to actually change it over. I think your house insurance would, for example, be void if this work led to a problem either now or in the future.

Cheers

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

As I said earlier...if its gas...get a plumber.

Leaking water is not as dangerous as leaking gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Can now confirm that the gal pipe is definitely a gas pipe. Any thoughts on replacing this sort of pipe. Is it safe to work with if you bleed the gas, and how would you do this? I would be replacing it with 3/4 inch copper pipe.

Tony, as said before get a plumber to change gas pipes.

Even I will not touch gas lines for if you stuff it up you'll blow your house up. Water pipes is different.

Peter.

I take your advice boys regarding the gas fitting, although after some more digging around it's only a short piece of rusted galvanised pipe which is connected at both ends by simple t junctions. I won't do this job for the reasons you've mentioned but unless there was a spark at a point where there was a gas leak, there shouldn't be a problem I would assume. This might seem like a naive question, but what could go wrong with changing the pipe if you followed simple precautions and checked that the changeover pipe was free of any leaks?