Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking Sealing MDF -non-greasy, acoustically-transparent

I've made frames out of mdf and there are quite a few exposed edges.

How should I seal the MDF?
    Should I seal only the edges or seal the whole surface?

Please note that these frames are to be used for acoustic panels (sound absorbing) so ideally I'd like to have a non-reflective (permeable) surface, so nothing too hard and nothing shiny. These panels will be covered in fabric so the surface can't be greasy and I'll never be able to re-treat the wood after covering it.

I would think any oil based or water based varnish would do the trick. 2 coats with a light sand between the first and second coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haymes Tri-Coat.. It's a sealer, undercoat and sand able base all in one.

Virtually everything I make has some mdf in it and the tricoat has been used for years. It's very nice.

If the boxes are totally covered in cloth and not exposed to moisture at all (like a cold glass on a humid day) then you really don't have to finish the boxes at all. If they are placed in areas of high humidity then a coat or two of some finish (spray cans give a light coat, lighter than brushing) will stop them going mouldy.

Just a comment: you don't need to worry about sealing the MDF. It has a hard & smooth enough surface that even unfinished MDF acts as an acoustic reflector at any frequencies where the finish would matter. The fabric covering (possibly with a bit of wadding or foam beneath) does all the high frequency absorption.

While thin MDF panels with an air gap behind can act as a low frequency absorber, the finish on the MDF won't affect that, as it relies on the whole panel bending.