Just pre-planning our walk in robe extensions. In its current format I've been frustrated by the hinged door that you need to open, go in, then close the door to get into some of the space behind it. It is a pretty narrow space in reality.

To to make better use of the space I'm considering switching the door to a cavity slider, but not keen on removing the part of the wall in the bedroom. If I do remove it I'll need to paint the whole room, repair the plastering etc and that sounds like extra work I don't need (want). I'm happy to remove the side of the wall in the robe as the space will be painted anyway and won't need to get paint to match other existing walls.

Would it it be possible to carefully remove the framing leaving one side of the gyprock to install a cavity slider? Dumb idea? I know what a tradie would do, but I'd rather not waste a good wall, or have to redo it and I'm not paying someone to fiddle around giving it a crack.

Fitting a std slider (outside the cavity) doesn't seem to make sense as we'll lose the use of the space where it slides open.

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....