Default hardwood kitchen top , cabothane clear oil

Hi ,

I tried to apply a clear cabothane oil on my kitchen top to restore the colour, put a protection on the area near the sink. I did the first coat , waited for 6 hours before the second coat as per instruction on the can. When I applied the second coat, some areas...started react , some kind of bubbles/ugly layers. I waited for 2 days, sanded the bubbles area off last night.

I want to re-apply the cabothane oil again and planning to wait for 24 hrs before the second coat this time. My question is...(see attached pics, pls help ) the edges near the bubbles area, i can use my nail to scratch it off....so I am not sure if I need to sand the whole bench top or just try to smooth the edges before applying the cabothane oil. I am hoping i just apply the cabothane oil will restore the colour and match it with the rest of the area.... oh dear , it just a nightmare...

IMG_3686.jpgIMG_3687.jpg

Hi jack

welcome

This is what it says online for Carbothane
    SurfacePreparation
    * NO SANDING REQUIRED. No sanding is required for pre-coated interior timber, preparation steps below must be followed. Please note new timber and previously coated exterior timber must be sanded.
    Remove stains, dirt, wax, grease and oil with mineral turpentine.
    Remove any polish with a suitable polish remover.
    Note: Previously coated interior timber with highly visible scratches, imperfections or surfaces that are severely worn must be sanded prior to coating.
    PREVIOUSLY COATED INTERIOR TIMBER
    Thoroughly clean the surface with Cabot's Floor Clean and allow to dry. Apply one coat to a small test area. Allow to dry for 3 hours. Press sticky tape firmly to the surface and pull off quickly. If the coating comes off, sand back further to a sound surface.
    Application Procedure
    Note: Do not shake can
    Stir thoroughly with a broad flat paddle before and during use.
    Apply with a good quality brush or spray gun.
    If brushing, always brush in the direction of the grain.
    Allow to dry for a minimum of 2 hours.
    For best results, lightly sand to remove any grain raise using 240 grit paper.
    Remove all sanding dust. Apply 2nd & 3rd coats as above.

How much of this did you follow?
    I must admit, my reaction to the "no sanding required" bit is "Yeah, Right"

I think you will need to use a paint stripper to remove the two coats you have applied, then thoroughly clean the surface and almost certainly sand the bench top to remove all the loose material.

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but you will possibly need to start sanding at around 100 grit, and then progress through the grits 120, 150, 180, 220, till you get to 240. removing all the scratches from the previous grit before moving to the next finer grit.
    Save yourself some angst and buy reasonable quality sanding paper. For a single bench top, it is probably not worth while buying a power sander.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Thanks Ian, I did not sand it when I applied my first two coats. The bench top is previously coated interior timber. The condition near the sink is not good so I tried carbothane clear oil, thinking to put a protection on the it. This is how i started...my nightmare . I will try to sand the edges using the sand paper progress you mentioned . I hope I don't need to sand the whole bench top...worry it would create a bigger mess. I will try a small area first...thanks, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacknothandy View Post
    I did not sand it when I applied my first two coats. The bench top is previously coated interior timber. The condition near the sink is not good so I tried carbothane clear oil, thinking to put a protection on the it.
    Hi Jack

I think that is your problem.

You will need to follow the advice given by Cabots
    Previously coated interior timber with highly visible scratches, imperfections or surfaces that are severely worn must be sanded prior to coating.
    PREVIOUSLY COATED INTERIOR TIMBER
    Thoroughly clean the surface with Cabot's Floor Clean and allow to dry. Apply one coat to a small test area. Allow to dry for 3 hours. Press sticky tape firmly to the surface and pull off quickly. If the coating comes off, sand back further to a sound surface.

Sorry, but there's no short cuts
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian