Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

View Poll Results: Which dado blade set?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • CMT 8"

14 60.87%
  • Infinity Dadonator 8"

4 17.39%
  • Stick to router cut dado's

5 21.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Undecided Dado

Thanks Dan.

Unfortunately I am still in the US so I won't be able to find out myself. Anyway I just spoke to Major Woodworking and was told that the arbour is not long enough.

From memory mine one is only long enough to hold 1 blade. (see picture). Can someone please show me a picture of a long arbour for dado blades? Maybe the TSC-10HB folks can help.

I'll take a pic and post it later.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Here 'tis.

Just out of interest, for those 10HB owners out there, how long is the arbour on the TSC10HB?
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

There was a thread about arbor length and dado blades a while ago. From memory, assuming you want to cut a 19mm max dado, you need 19mm for the blades, about 6 or 7mm for the outer flange to hold the blade and the rest for the nut to get on with enough turns to make it safe.

The TSC-10HB and my Leda 12HK were almost identical in arbor length and like that picture, had a bit over 30mm in total length. When I fit enough blades to cut a 19mm dado, the nut on mine goes on so that the arbor lines up with the outside of the nut when it's tightened on. There was talk though, that if the arbor was a fraction too short, you could do smaller dado widths and then make 2 passes if you wanted to go out to 19mm or more.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    Thanks Dan.

Unfortunately I am still in the US so I won't be able to find out myself. Anyway I just spoke to Major Woodworking and was told that the arbour is not long enough.

From memory mine one is only long enough to hold 1 blade. (see picture). Can someone please show me a picture of a long arbour for dado blades? Maybe the TSC-10HB folks can help.
    Scot, if the thread isn't long enough for a dado blade and if the arbour is say 5/8 you can get an extension sleeve/nut made to screw on the arbor with an OD of 30mm and then you can use a dado blade.

Soren has got one of those if you need further details.

Peter.

Peter, Dan and Gumby,

Thanks for your help. It will be great if it works out because I can get it delivered here for US$85.

So who is Soren?

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    So who is Soren?
    He posts here sometimes and a member of the Triton Woodworkers Club down here. (another who has defected from the Triton ranks in favour of a TS) :eek:
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    If you had to buy a dado set which would you buy CMT or Infinity DADONATOR
    Dadonator ? Whats next? I'm waiting for GMC to bring out the next model Work Centre - the Tritonator (Or maybe that's a movie starring Arnie as a Triton demonstrator - see Arnie destroy the competitors TS using the Super Jaws and the Metal Cutter)
    "If something is really worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - GK Chesterton

I went to a hardware store at lunch time and saw the Frued 8”. It was only US $85. I had it in my hand. I looked and I looked but there is no way that it would fit my supersaw. $130 is a bargain compares to $300 from Major woodworking.

Damn X infinity :mad:

Dail'a'width arrived today... dam its heavy for a saw blade!
    Discovered one thing straight away dont undo the adjusting hub to far... spring and ballbearing hunting in sawdust is not my idea of fun(lucky for old speaker magnets).
    Shall test her out tomorrow if I get time.

Gotta say Rocklers have some great gear in their cattledog,(come with blade) we need this shop over here...

Default which dado

I couldn't afford the CMT or Freud so I settled for the Delta set (less than $200 at cardatec) does a job that I am very happy with.

You would need to make a case to store it in though. It, I think comes from NZ.

Arthur

Ok gave it a run today, the 8" Freud Dial dado set cuts very flat with the very slightest "V" trenching at the very outer edges(almost need magnafiying glass to see it) I think this is because they are specy'd to cut melamine. It leaves a polished finish in the bottom of the cut... on the test piece the dado bottom has a way better finish than the DAR pine!
    The max width setting was 19.2mm on my saw(TSC10HB)with the arbor nut fully engauged(arbor was protruding about 1mm from nut)

So to test it properly I made a blade holding box for my T/saw, took me all of 1 1/2 hrs to make from scraps!

Oh MR Lucky guy. :mad:

We'll be able to tell later if Im lucky... whats the Xlotto numbers?