Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Simonds No.62 Blue Ribbon 7ppi crosscut

Well, I saved the best for last. In fact I think I would have called a day about half way through if it were not for this saw.

Some Forum members will be aware that Simonds saws are my main focus (ok who thought fetish). In fact I do have some difficulty in parting with them. This particularly example is a No.62 and was top of the Simonds line up (along with three other models of equal standing).

The No.62 was a full depth skewback saw with a close up handle. For it's time it was extremely modern. It had all the requirements of the best hand saw in the world. Highly polished saw plate, wheat carved apple handle (more on that) and a high degree of temper. For a relatively short period of time between 1910 and 1915 Simonds featured the "dollar" medallion. It was in fact the price of the saw, which was also etched on the saw plate above the middle etch.

All Simonds Blue Ribbon saws have three etches and they are all present on this saw as well as the price of $2.50. The main Simonds etch on this example is particularly strong.

The saw is a 7ppi crosscut user in that it was jointed, shaped, set and hand sharpened, but the successful buyer may only want to use it to show off .

It is as good as any saw in my Simonds collection ( starting to get a little edgy in parting with it).

Frequently the blue enamel is missing from the medallion as it falls out, but this is all present and rock solid.

Simonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 009.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 001.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 002.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 003.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 004.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 005.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 006.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 007.jpgSimonds No.62 2.50dollar medallion 008.jpg

There is one small anomally with this saw that I have only a partial explanation for and it is that the handles of the No.62 had wheat carving on the flat of the handle as well as the grip. This example only has carving on the grip. It may have been a mistake from the factory or the handle could have been a genuine replacement as the replacements only had carving on the grip.

The price is etched on the saw plate so I have no doubt that the medallion belongs to this saw. This saw would be around one hundred years old: Maybe a little more. Not bad for age. Not bad for any age.

One final little snippet to share is an advertisement. It goes to show the level of adoration that an owner of a Simonds saw can expect from his female companion (I would expect it to work the other way around too, more so even). I can't make any guarantees that life would improve dramatically if you owned this saw, but I don't think you would be any worse off.

Simonds 1910 ad. Non PC.JPG

Don't worry if you don't have a female companion. I am sure you soon would .

Postage is included in the price for Australia (anywhere else, talk to me and we will come to an arrangement) and payment is by direct transfer.

If this is the only one of my listings (eight) you view, I'm glad it was this one and if you wade through all eight... you deserve to take one of them home.

Thanks for looking.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Bushmiller; 14th December 2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Messed up the title description!
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Ahem! I just noticed that I completely messed up the title description of this saw. It is a No.62 not a No.72. Sorry for the mistake. It was after midnight and after about four hours of building the threads I was not at my best. I might have to think twice about the spiced rum and ginger beer too .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Ahem! I just noticed that I completely messed up the title description of this saw. It is a No.62 not a No.72. Sorry for the mistake. It was after midnight and after about four hours of building the threads I was not at my best. I might have to think twice about the spiced rum and ginger beer too .

Regards
    Paul
    Fixed

Thanks Fred.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Default Simonds

Paul, I will take this saw if still available, Ross

Congratulations Ross. It's yours. I will PM bank details and the price includes postage.

Ooooh! Parting with one of my Simonds. I think I know what it's like to have your right arm removed. Only joking . Well bought.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

The saw has been posted and tracking number supplied by PM.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;