Default Copper clad panel

Hi folks.
    A lady turned up at my metalshed mancave asking if I could restore what appeared to be (under high magnification) a copper clad panel that had a heavily embossed design impressed into it. It seems to be a very thin copper sheet that has been bonded to a timber or synthetic substrate. Brings back old memories of the kitchy copper pannelling used in 1960's kitchens etc.

If anyone has any previous recolections of this material, exactly what is etc, I would be greatful of any information you can give.

Cheers
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by georgedgerton View Post
    Hi folks.
    A lady turned up at my metalshed mancave asking if I could restore what appeared to be (under high magnification) a copper clad panel that had a heavily embossed design impressed into it. It seems to be a very thin copper sheet that has been bonded to a timber or synthetic substrate. Brings back old memories of the kitchy copper pannelling used in 1960's kitchens etc.

If anyone has any previous recolections of this material, exactly what is etc, I would be greatful of any information you can give.

Cheers
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce,

A photo is worth many words! Can't help if we can't see. Please attach some photos. Can't guarantee help but you have a better chance.

David

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

There were / are may commercial panels available with metalic surfaces http://www.richelieu.com/intl/en/cat...de=page&page=1

The surface may only be a very thin foil, so not much opportunity to resurface / restore.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Thanks chaps, should have added a pic first up.
    The lady has had a rather unsuccessful attemp at cleaning it up. It does appear to be very thin copper foil, but the attacment to the substrate is sound. I was thinking I might clean it right back, give it a very light coat of liver of sulphur to put the tarnish back, and then very lightly buff the highlights back to contrast the embossed pattern

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't help with the cleaning part, but the winged lion is a fairly common motif in Persia/Iran.
    Is the panel part of something, eg a table top or other furniture?

Regards
    SWK

Quote Originally Posted by georgedgerton View Post
    Thanks chaps, should have added a pic first up.
    The lady has had a rather unsuccessful attemp at cleaning it up. It does appear to be very thin copper foil, but the attacment to the substrate is sound. I was thinking I might clean it right back, give it a very light coat of liver of sulphur to put the tarnish back, and then very lightly buff the highlights back to contrast the embossed pattern

Bruce
    Well, I am far from expert with such panels but what you are proposing to do sounds pretty good to me. As a metalworker you would be aware that such metals were often sealed with shellac (try to dissolve with metho) or more recently synthetics like Incralac (no idea how to clean that one off, I don't even know what it is made of). Once any sealant is removed one of the very fine abrasive cleaners like Brasso on a cloth should polish it up without risking penetrating the foil if you are careful.

Good luck

David

Thanks for the replies to all.
    It does have a clear sealer on it, and that is coming off with the help of a little acetone. As for SWK question: It was originally a door panel, that the owner is going to have cut into three feature panels for her current project. Like so often happens, it is a shame she tried to clean it up in the first place, you can still see parts of the original finish that had aged to some lovely patina colours. All it really needed in the first place was the sealant stripping, a very light buff-up of the highlights, neutralise the existing patina and resealing; and she'd had a great feature panel.

Cheers
    Bruce