Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Free wood

Smile Free wood

G'day there.

Yesterday I picked up a good stack of hardwood from WK Marble and Granite Co at 129 Fairford Rd Padstow. They throw out lots of wood from their packaging.

It bore the stamp 'Barzil' (someone's attempt to spell 'Brazil' perhaps?). Colouring is from dark blond to deep red, with most of it being a reddish-pink.

It is pretty hard stuff (and heavy), and most of the lengths I gathered were probably about 8 feet long. I think it's 3x2 or thereabouts. Some of it was straight; some of it not. But when it's free ...

The timbers were bolted together in frames. Most bolts probably 20cm long, and you'll need a 14mm spanner to undo them. I brought along a punch, a hammer, a lever-bar, nail-pullers and pliers, and used most of them.

Else you could just bring a chainsaw and save yourself the time ...

I don't know whether there is any more left or not. They dump timber there every day (most of it some sort of imported white pine), and sometimes it all disappears overnight (chopped up for firewood).

I wouldn't come down from Brisbane hoping to make a big haul. It's probably just worth a look if you live near Padstow.

Still, I'm very happy with my haul. Lots of excellent construction lumber here, and maybe even some furniture-grade, depending on how it planes up (it looks promising, not being especially 'furry').

Regards,
    GW
    Where you see a tree, I see 3 cubic metres of timber, milled and dressed.

Thanks for the tip-off. Damn, I was in Padstow yesterday just around the corner at Major Woodworking Equipment, buying a Jet mini-lathe. With the cost of timber these days, it is painful to think of it being used for firewood. At least you will put yours to good use.

regards
    Coldamus