Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default I may have messed things up. Suggestions.

Heyas.

I haven't made many boxes to date so that may account for this messup.

Gluing together a fairly standard BSB I found that my Titebond had gone off (hard).
    No problems. I've got a bottle of PU glue. Never used it for wood before but it says wood on the bottle.

That may have been a bad idea. The PU has expanded as it's supposed to and it basically looks crap. Photo attached if I can get it to work - sorry for the blurry quality.

Any suggestions as to what to do about it?

Lacking any other suggestions I'm inclined to re-cut the box through that glued joint, clean it up as best as I can and re glue it with something better.

Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --- Cheers. Paul.

The best solvents for PU are nasty stuff to work with. eg. Acetone or MEK. Almost as bad is cleaning up the mating surfaces afterwards.

Personally, I think you've already answered your own question: I'd use the finest kerf BS blade I had and run it through again...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    Personally, I think you've already answered your own question: I'd use the finest kerf BS blade I had and run it through again...
    When I got down to it that procedure seemed fraught with risk - more so than normal anyway

What I've done - and it seems ok, is to use a dremmel circular blade to recess the glue line. Then I've sanded it out to give a very slight curve to the edge. It helps hide the glue down deeper and highlights the cut. Something I wanted to do anyway.

I'll post pictures when I've finished.
    --- Cheers. Paul.

Hi ppofandt,
    It sounds like you have solved you're own problem the idea of making a feature of the joint instead of trying to hide it should have a good outcome without the need of trying to re do the joint please post a photo when done we all would love to see the results of you're efforts. As for PU glue I have used it a couple of times was recommended for hardwood I didn't like the result at all I am sure it has it's place but for fine joint's in timber I think not.
    Regards Rod.