Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was chasing close to $10K from a previous employer last year .....

I went to a lawyer to have him chase it up ..... letter one .... no reply from employer .... I had to contact lawyer to get him to follow it up .... letter two .... again no reply from employer ..... again I had to contact the lawyer to get him to follow it up ..... letter three, this time with deadline ..... deadline approached with no reply from employer ..... again I follow up with the lawyer. This time lawyer telephones employer and advisers if the account isn't paid by 5:00pm he will be filing case with court the next day. Employer makes deposit by 5:00pm.

it cost me $330.00 for three useless letters that I had to follow up with the lawyer .... however I did get my $10K back. I payed the lawyers account the day that I received it but if I had the guts I would have not paid for a few months as I had to do so much of the following myself.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieglen
    I sympathise with your situation. If the business is still trading (ie not bankrupt) then it might be worth trying this web site;

http://www.notgoodenough.org

they seem to have had some success for many of their members. Give it a try - there's nothing to lose!
    Aussieglen
    NGE got a bit of a dent to there credability following a story on A Current Affair .... I don't think that they have recovered too well.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    Don't forget it is a company.

Probably with a paid up capital of $ 2 and the business is probably so structured ( on the advice of their accountants ) that it only has liabilities with all the assets in another company and that it leases the assets needed to do the work.

If wound up they would start again with a new company the next day as they still have control of their assets.

Peter.
    But a new company will cost about $750 (if they do it themselves) to incorporate with ASIC, so avoiding $900 is not likely to make that occur. You think like a lawyer Peter. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the post.

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    But a new company will cost about $750 (if they do it themselves) to incorporate with ASIC, so avoiding $900 is not likely to make that occur. You think like a lawyer Peter. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the post.

Lawyers, Accountants and Company Liquidators all think alike. Usually their first advice to someone setting up a business is to so structure it that in the event of a disaster the assets stay intact.

It is worth the extra paperwork required ( and used to keep me in work ) to maintain the legal fiction that the owners, holding company and trust, leasing company and operating company are separate entities.

BTW in my former life when I used to set up companies the incorporation fees were only $ 212 and the Vic S/d on setting up a discretionary unit trading trust was $ 1.50 Cost must have gone up abit.

Peter.

Its why we are so popular with the public.....

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    BTW Debt Collectors are useless where the person is not scared of them. They can't do anything except write a theatening letter. Big deal.
    You're using the wrong sort of debt collectors You need the large, muscly, tatooed, leather wearing, motorbike riding blokes.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938