Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default clear PVC piping

Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but 'renovations' seemed appropriate as it obtusely covers plumbing...

I am after some pvc pipe, like normal plumbing pipe that is white, but wanted to know if this (or similar) is available clear. I am wanting to make some holders for strip wood, and find pvc pipe or mailing tubes great for this...but it would be good if they were see-through so I can see shorter lengths.

Does anyone know if this is available, ideally in sizes from around 2" to 6" - material thickness not important as it won't be under pressure, just has to stand upright in a holder.

Hope this makes sense, and let me know if you've seen any (ideally in Melbourne somewhere).

Thanks,

Darren

I have only seen this once. I though it was some artists idea of a joke - seeing all the crap go down.

Why not try acrylic tubing. Comes in the sizes you are after, with different wall thicknesses. Check out local plastics suppliers (ie Cadillac)
    This message has been proudly brought to you by Bunyip

Start eating peanut butter bigtime.
    The jars are clear polycarbonate
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I think you will find that acrylic tubing will be way to expensive. Its pretty much worth its wieght in gold.
    Personally I wouldnt be buying it to store wood etc in.

Default I'll stick with the white stuff

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. If it is special order type stuff and/or hard to get - as well as expensive - I'll give it a miss and just use plastic plumbing pipe. I know I've seen the clear stuff before but have no idea about getting hold of it or how much it would be (and don't eat a lot of peanut butter!).

Just thought it would be nice to see the shorter pieces of wood, but I'll make different lengths of tube instead!

Regards,
    Darren

Darren,
    I use PVC for the same use but for the smaller stuff I don't use a solid length. I cut it into about 100mm lengths and fix it to a length of pine with 200mm spacing. This is quick and it is easy to pick out the short bits but still supports the longer ones.

cheers
    Dr Dee
    Trying to work less and machine my time away

Lee Valley sell lengths of clear PVC pipe, 2 > 2 1/2 inch diameter, in their dust collection section - of course you'll have to wait for the postie to deliver it.

Cadillac Plastics have mutated & split up - they are no longer the 'get everything here' shop, and have changed their name. I was trying to get some HDP rod back around Christmas & found they were pretty much out of the retail/small wholesale buisness.

I dealt with 'Dotmar' and 'Cut to Size Plastics' - ring a few places as they WILL try to gouge you if you don't have a price comparison - I think I saved a bit more than 33% by just ringing 2 places.

The clear "PVC" pipe is a polycarbonate that is mostly used by cablers on secure sites for network cables. It allows you to see the fibre/cat5 cable and see if it has survellance devices on the cables.

If I wanted to source it I would be going through a large cableing company to find their supplier, and be getting prepared to be seriously bitten on the price.

An alternative is to cut out sections of the PVC drainage pipe that you are suggesting, and staying with the "view holes" or to cover them with clear acrylic or PVC that is heated and bent to the shape. Personally I like the "ply plates with holes cut out and several of these plates spaced on a 2x4 pine length" dowel rack. Attach to the shed roof and you will have a holder that serves your purpose.