Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Howdy! USN (United States Navy) Ret

My name is Kenneth Watson and I am highly interested in woodworking. I've started bulding my wood shop at age 55, but fell off a ladder and totally shattered my right shoulder. Surgery was supposed to last 1.5 hours but ended up over four!
    They were kind enough to notify the wife of the full extent of the damage about half way through the first session. After two more operations and bunches of physical therapy I am starting back at the wood shop! Been around the globe and my profession was large calaber gun systems, explosives and small arms with not ever one injury to me or the people who worked for me 20yrs Active and anouther 10 in fleet reserve.
    I also worked more than several years as a Gun Systems instructor where as fate would have I had the opportunity to teach African and Australian officer's the 3" guns system and magazine sprinkler syatems. One thing the Australian Officers taught me was to never drink a can of Fosters Beer!!
    I'm pretty certain that lesson still applies. Thanks for allowing me to go through some Me time and allowed entry into your woodworking community! P.S. its been 5 years since the accident and I'll officially become an old man of 60! Respectfully, Kenneth

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "Kenneth".
    There are quite a few members from across the USA, North America and the rest of the world.....
    A good number of us have and are using time in the shed making & creating with wood as therapy as it's a very enjoyable hobby.
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork.....
    Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

Go NAVY, RAN of course, engineering branch not necessarily the "gunnery jacks" ..... ......

PS - Officially in health circles in Australia, you aren't old until you're 80..... So enjoy your shed and woodwork.....

Welcome to the forum Kenneth.

Hi Kenneth, a big salute from Perth, Western Australia.
    Sorry to hear of your accident although well in the pass now,its surprising how the worst accidents seem to happen in peoples own homes.
    I wish you all the best in your shed and with your future woodworking endeavours.

Icidentally my great grandfather's name was Tom Watson, he was a master grocer from Preston, Lancashire in England.

G'day Ken
    This Forum is the place to gain useful information on a very broad base. Someone will have an answer to your questions.

That's a bugger with your shoulder, hope you are able to move about OK.
    60....yeh I turned 60 last June. I just can't believe I am "so old". I am a retired Carpenter that can't stop doing things. The body does complain sometimes when I do something a little too strenuous.

I think Fosters is sold overseas more than it is sold here.
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by gunnersmategmc View Post
    My name is Kenneth Watson and I am highly interested in woodworking. I've started bulding my wood shop at age 55, but fell off a ladder and totally shattered my right shoulder. Surgery was supposed to last 1.5 hours but ended up over four!
    They were kind enough to notify the wife of the full extent of the damage about half way through the first session. After two more operations and bunches of physical therapy I am starting back at the wood shop! Been around the globe and my profession was large calaber gun systems, explosives and small arms with not ever one injury to me or the people who worked for me 20yrs Active and anouther 10 in fleet reserve.
    I also worked more than several years as a Gun Systems instructor where as fate would have I had the opportunity to teach African and Australian officer's the 3" guns system and magazine sprinkler syatems. One thing the Australian Officers taught me was to never drink a can of Fosters Beer!!
    I'm pretty certain that lesson still applies. Thanks for allowing me to go through some Me time and allowed entry into your woodworking community! P.S. its been 5 years since the accident and I'll officially become an old man of 60! Respectfully, Kenneth
    Good Morning Kenneth
    Welcome.
    I saw your post and was intrigued. I am the Australian Navy equivalent of the USN GMG / GMM /TM. I did my 76mm (not 3 inch!) training at Dam Neck in 1988 and GMLS 13 in Great Lakes in 2000. IIRC some of my instructors for the 76 were Keith, PO Tetterham, and another fellow from New York. The Master Chief was nickname the Iceman. Wonderful times.

Sincerely
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Yea, Once started a group of Afican Officers in Basic Electricity & Electronics and started the class a normal I E, Good Morning and was explicit that if at anytime they did not understand what or wherever we are in the presentation to raise your han and we will resolve the issues! ! After the last hour of the day when it was time to go home! The senior officer of the group came up to me and said " I have a question or I mean to say we have a question" I said sure, at what area do you have your questions? "He said "Everything after good morning! ! I went to school there as well and assisted the installation of the new 3" 50 Caliber gun mount with some men out of Gun Town Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnersmategmc View Post
    Yea, Once started a group of Afican Officers in Basic Electricity & Electronics and started the class a normal I E, Good Morning and was explicit that if at anytime they did not understand what or wherever we are in the presentation to raise your han and we will resolve the issues! ! After the last hour of the day when it was time to go home! The senior officer of the group came up to me and said " I have a question or I mean to say we have a question" I said sure, at what area do you have your questions? "He said "Everything after good morning! ! I went to school there as well and assisted the installation of the new 3" 50 Caliber gun mount with some men out of Gun Town Virginia.
    Ahhh yes, the 3 " 50, a little bit of a 'people eater', like the pommy 4.5" guns. I have played with that gun, plus the 5"54 Mk 45 on the gun line
    Willy

Welcome to the forum and 60 is not that old.

Without Stokers to drive you to the target and give you power the pop guns and the whoosh-bangs don't work!

Welcome to the Forum Gunnersmate, and feel free to bask in the reflected glory of the former Marine Engineering Department members

Ian, ex RN & RAN