Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  5
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default G'Day from Goulburn

Hi all,

Have been lurking long enough so I thought it was high time I introduced myself. I am Jeremy (or Jezza, that big bloke, hey you... Take your pick) originally from Sydney but moved to Goulburn for work 10 years ago and love it. I know work in Sydney and commute each day which amazes people but Goulburn is great for the kids. I am a 23 year old trapped in a 40 year old body that hasn't had the best of care but working on that one too...

Dad is a master craftsman- taught Metalwork at Sydney Teachers College, builds live steam trains, magazine editor, has built everything that he has wanted to with a level of precision I can only dream of and inspired me to have a crack myself.

I have always dabbled in woodworking but spend a lot of time in metal, building various projects, feeding my BBQ addiction (collecting, building and eating) as well as a 4 wheel project that never seems to get near the end. I have a good size shed that is nowhere near big enough as I keep filling it with gear, it's 11m long and is half metalwork and now half woodworking.

i voraciously search for inspiration which is why I lurk here, YouTube gives me dreams larger than I can manage but I have a go. I built some basic bookshelves built in 10 years ago with a Triton, a router and handsaw that still look good today. Since then a full office Reno with huge built in cupboards and bookshelves made out of hollow core doors has completed too. I have two large silky oak slabs in the shed that will one day be my desk when I feel I can do them justice. Until then they will season...

This past weekend I alternated between teaching myself to use my new wood lathe and turning some crappy old pallets into a nice seating bench for my office in Sydney. I buggered up the dimensions so it is more of a coffee table which is ok too.

I hope to find some time to contribute more as the members of this forum have inspired me for a long time, the help has been invaluable wether you know it or not and hopefully I can do something worth sharing with others. Once I navigate through the picture posting process I will post a build in the appropriate section of my favourite recent project, a 70kg gas bottle wood heater for the shed. I struggled for info on this one and pieced the idea from many different places.

I know there a few people in this area, always happy to say g'day, pour a home brew, share my equipment and swap ideas - I have met others from various forums over the years and nobody has had two heads yet, all just regular enthusiasts like me. Some very like me with more enthusiasm than actual skill but it still amazes me what a second set of eyes can do to a project or encourage someone to keep pushing on...

Anyway it's 3.30am, my second attempt at posting this after a crash and I have to get up in 90min for work.

looking forward to being a proper part of this

Cheers

Jezza

Default ok maybe just one pic to start

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Jezza".
    There are quite a few members in & around the Southern Highlands and surrounding areas.......
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork....
    Cheers crowie

Hey Jezza
    Welcome to the Forum!!! Your background information post was a good read. Wow 23. If this Forum had been around when I was 23 I am sure by now I would have been a bit more cluey.
    The help that is in this Forum is such a treasure. No matter what you need advice on, someone will willingly will jump in to guide you.
    A commute to Sydney every day must be a grind. I moved from Sydney to here 40 years ago. Employment was always tentative but I agree with you that country towns are a good place for kids to grow up in. They too may end up working in the big smoke though.
    I will keep an eye out for your posts to see what you are up to
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Ha ha thanks for the welcome. Just to clarify, the numbers on my drivers licence say 40 but it's how you feel inside right? I am sure I am not the only one...

Welcome to the forum. Hope you continue to find this site interesting.

Welcome to the forum Jezza.

welcome aboard

Default PM Help

Hi,

I had a private message from Chris Parks asking for assistance that I am absolutely able to help with but not sure of the PM rules as my replies don't show in sent items and haven't heard back. Not sure if I am allowed to PM yet either...

if anyone knows Chris and can reach out on my behalf you could ask him to email me jeremy dot carter at aapt.net.au

If anyone could fill me in on the rules though that may help.

He could also just be busy too but not seeing the message is strange.

Cheers

Jezza