Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    No, it’s not an Ozmestore lathe, it’s an Optimum Maschinen. Looks very similar though, doesn’t it? It has a few differences in spec and is slightly larger. I do get a few bits and pieces from Ozmestore though – excellent service. Unfortunately, the lathes he advertises on ebay aren’t viewable – big turn off for me.
    Geez your lucky, every time I want a part they have to take it from a machine, I bought a motor for my lathe back in January 11/14 it sat here for a couple of weeks till I got time to put it in. First week of Feb I got to use it, about 2 hours in it stopped operating. The motor was going but the end of the shaft wasn't, it had sheared off between the bearing and the fan. Sent it down to them "YEP it's a warranty job, had a couple of them lately, be 6 weeks before we can get a replacement" All sorts of excuses, boss forgot to order it, maybe in the next container, should be in the next one. STILL FLAMING WAITING. Getting really p*&#ed
    Had to order a cir
    cuit board for the mill (same place) paid for it last Wed. still not seen it
    Unfortunately no one else in AU has spares for them and I would NEVER have a piece of machinery from them again.
    Kryn

Default Ozmestore and unrelated details.

I've only ever bought small items from ozmestore, and always received them within 2-3 days, mind you I've never had warranty or return issues. I had heard communication with them was all but an impossibility, didn't realize they were that bad - one for the memory bank. Which lathe did you buy?

When I was deciding on which lathe to buy, I went to the ozmestore warehouse (not easy to find - no signs, numbers or anyone in the office ) to see If I could eyeball one - no go, so I bought elsewhere.

Sorry Techo1, I've been busy with unrelated things. Hope to get at it today (if the Olympus will play), can't get it to focus on macro unless the item is lit up with a torch, but then the item is too bright to see any detail.

Default Focus.

A couple of quick shots of threading bits I’ve used most recently. The first is of an identical grind for leading and trailing relief.. The other three are of another bit I ground a few days ago. As you can see the leading relief is a little more acute than the trailing relief. Sorry for the quality, in macro mode, this camera will not focus unless the item is lit up like a Xmas tree.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default relief angle

A couple of quick shots of threading bits I’ve used most recently. The first is of an identical grind for leading and trailing relief.. The other three are of another bit I ground a few days ago. As you can see the leading relief is a little more acute than the trailing relief. Sorry for the quality, in macro mode, this camera will not focus unless the item is lit up like a Xmas tree.
    Hi

I'm no authority but I'd say you have way too much end relief angle , seen in the last 2 pics . You only need around 10 degrees max. Yours has about 45 degrees or more . The acute angle you have will weaken the cutting edges .. Mike

Default Annoyances.

Yes, that's why I haven't used it, nothing more annoying than breaking the tip off half way through cutting a thread. You'll also notice the tip hasn't been flattened or rounded - another recipe for disaster.

Default Ozmestore and unrelated details.

I've only ever bought small items from ozmestore, and always received them within 2-3 days, mind you I've never had warranty or return issues. I had heard communication with them was all but an impossibility, didn't realize they were that bad - one for the memory bank. Which lathe did you buy?

When I was deciding on which lathe to buy, I went to the ozmestore warehouse (not easy to find - no signs, numbers or anyone in the office ) to see If I could eyeball one - no go, so I bought elsewhere.
    I had the lathe a 7 X 12 and an X2 mini mill given to me by my brother and I thought he wasn't smart, maybe I'm the one that's not so bright.
    I've had to replace the belts and motor drive cog 5 times, from Little Machine Shop in the US. The mill has had gears replaced twice, finally with metal gears again from the US. It was cheaper and QUICKER to get them from the states.
    The circuit board finally arrived Thursday morning. Regarding communication from them, you are correct, they don't/won't contact you or return calls, DAMHIKT. They rely on fleabay sales, not walk in sales. Maybe they should be on a site "YOUR WORST SUPPLIER", I'm not afraid to rubbish them, as it might be the only way, they smarten up.
    Where did you buy your lathe from please?
    Regards
    Kryn

I bought mine from Machinery Disposals (Impala machinery) on Cavan Road, not far from Paramount Brown, It's branded Impala, but the user's book says it's Optimum Maschinen.

It's 280mm x 700 mm and has a mounting pad on the back of the bed - presumably for a mill.

The finish was superior to any C#!ne$e lathe I've ever seen. Aside from the bed, there is no filler, just a very thin coat of paint. it was dearer, but I was happy to pay the extra. Time will tell if it was a wise choice!

Aside from the V belt fraying, I haven't had any problems to date so don't know about spares, etc. The fellow said he can get parts in if I need them. There seem to be a number of clones, as is the norm for C#!ne$e machinery, some with identical specs.

But really as I now know the manufacturer, it's probably easier to just go through Optimum's factory.

Both Optimum Maschinen and Machinery Disposals have web sites.

I have a Chinese 12x36 lathe. It was my Dads and he got it through Ozmestore. It wouldn't be my first choice of where to buy a lathe but it has been pretty good so far. I also have a Chinese mill and now I can see that the lathe is far superior to the mill in terms of finish and quality, BUT they are still Chinese! I have since acquired a German bandsaw, a Hercus T&C grinder and a Macson shaper and I can certainly see the difference in quality. Even the best Chinese machine is no match for any of those brands or others made outside of China. My Chinese lathe also has very little "bog" other than under the bed, I totally striped it back to bare metal so I know, but it's still Chinese, it still had heaps of crap in the headstock and the apron. While I would love to acquire a S/H lathe from a more "respected" origin, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because this lathe has sentimental value to me and it's not a bad lathe so I have no real need to replace it, other than my appreciation of finer machines.

The only real way I can see to justify it's replacement would be if I can honestly say that my turning skills are at a level where the lathe is limiting my achievements. That's just not the case, not for now or anytime soon I think.

Simon
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

Hi,

I had started a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding threading. I was producing some nice threads right up until I needed to make the part I wanted then bang, there goes my head again (against the proverbial wall). Couldn't cut a decent thread at all. Turns out the both gibs were loose, the insert I was using had a chip etc etc. Haven't touched it since. Will hopefully try again this week.

Regarding lathes there was a nice looking AL960B on Gumtree for $1000 on Tuesday or Wednesday morning. By the time I got to work to have another look at it, it was gone.

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by bwal74 View Post
    Hi,
    Regarding lathes there was a nice looking AL960B on Gumtree for $1000 on Tuesday or Wednesday morning. By the time I got to work to have another look at it, it was gone.

Ben.
    When it comes to anything that you're looking for, Ya gotta be quick. Just look in the market place something gets listed, 10 mins later it's GONE
    Kryn

Default What a bargain

An AL- 960 for $1000, I'm surprised it lasted 10 minutes - what a bargain!

An AL- 960 for $1000, I'm surprised it lasted 10 minutes - what a bargain!
    Yeah, it didn't last long. Less than an hour. I should of rang the bloke and and snapped it up but wasn't sure how the missus would take it. Plus I've got too much on my plate as it is - Lotze hacksaw, another small cannon model to finish, threads . . . . .

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by bwal74 View Post
    Yeah, it didn't last long. Less than an hour. I should of rang the bloke and and snapped it up but wasn't sure how the missus would take it. Plus I've got too much on my plate as it is - Lotze hacksaw, another small cannon model to finish, threads . . . . .

Ben.
    Tell the missus it's part of your self managed super fund, it will be of great value in the future just like super is NOW. Plus it will give you something to do later....................
    Kryn