Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default David Barrons Dovetail Guide

Hey everybody! Im Andy, a new guy to the forums!

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one or has any thoughts on it. Im considering ordering one, waiting on a quote for shipping from the UK with a few other things. Im looking at the 1:6 and 1:8 guide. they can be viewed here:
    handmade modern contemporary wood furniture
    Im a newb when it comes to box making, my tools are in storage as I dont have a workshop at the moment, living arrangements are about to change that very soon though

So yeah back on point just want to know what more experienced woodworkers thoughts are on the guide. Keeping in mind my long term aim is to produce high quality jewelry boxes (time and practice i know!!) and lots of them. My wife sells jewelry (party plan style) so I thought if I make jewelry boxes she can sell them at the same time!

Cheers
    Andy

I bought this Veritas gear from Carbatec which looks very similar. With a little practice I found the results were very good and worth the money.

Whoops! forgot the link.

Veritas® Dovetail Guides : CARBA-TEC
    Last edited by safari; 9th August 2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: brain fade

thanks for the reply.

I have not seen the Veritas in action but looks a bit fiddly to me, i assume you clamp it for each cut? therefore time consuming but no chance of slipping mid-cut! are there any other guides out there worth considering?

Hi Andy. Welcome.

I also bought the Veritas guides although now I'd probably make my own or use a bevel. The David Barron guides are pricey. His Youtube videos are pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidBarronFurniture

The bit of gear I plan to make is a copy of the David Barron alignment board. Such a simple idea.

If you wanted to get into production, take a look at the Gifkins Dovetail Jig.

Default Whoops, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by homesy135 View Post
    Hi Andy. Welcome.

I also bought the Veritas guides although now I'd probably make my own or use a bevel. The David Barron guides are pricey. His Youtube videos are pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidBarronFurniture

The bit of gear I plan to make is a copy of the David Barron alignment board. Such a simple idea.

If you wanted to get into production, take a look at the Gifkins Dovetail Jig.

Sorry, Andy, I just jumped in without thinking. The Veritias guides I bought were marking guides for pencilling or knifing the 1:6 or 1:8 angle of the dovetail joint. Not for cutting it, hence my suggestion of using a bevel. I still believe the Gifkins Dovetail Jig is worth your investigation although you'll need a router mounted in a router table (but doesn't everybody?). And, the David Barron alignment board still a great idea for marking out hand cut dovetail joints.

Once again, I apologise for my confusion.

Good luck with your boxes and remember to post some pictures.

thanks guys. ordered the veritas guide the other day. will let you know how it goes.