Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Looking for Size Range of Scroll Saw Blades

I have just purchased a new Scroll Saw and am looking at ordering blades from Helen & Owen Harris so I am looking for recommendations on which selection of sizes I should buy.

There seems to be so many to choose from and I would like to buy a selection that I could have in the workshop that would handle most jobs....eg without buying 1 pack of each & every type/size, should I be looking at

1 pack each of 3 different sizes .....2/0...... 5 ....... 7 in each of the following types:

Skip Tooth Blades with reverse teeth

Skip Tooth without reverse teeth

Double Tooth Blades with reverse teeth

Two Way Cut

Metal Cutting

Should I be looking at more sizes in addition to the above.....any help appreciated

I find that No3 & No5 plain skip tooth is all that I require for the work that I do,have various other sizes but rarely use them. I would start with a couple of basic sizes & you will soon see if you require anything else if at all. I also purchased a miniture chuck & small drills to suit the blades as well as a Quick release top blade holder,very handy.
    Cheers Peter

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Quote Originally Posted by pawoods View Post
    I find that No3 & No5 plain skip tooth is all that I require for the work that I do,have various other sizes but rarely use them. I would start with a couple of basic sizes & you will soon see if you require anything else if at all. I also purchased a miniture chuck & small drills to suit the blades as well as a Quick release top blade holder,very handy.
    Cheers Peter
    Hi Peter, have you got a pic of the quick release top blade holder?

Many thanks.

Nathan.

Default Blade Clamp

Hegner Quick release clamp.jpg

Hi Nathan this is the quick release blade clamp I purchased from Helen Harris not cheap but well worth it ,around the $50 mark.
    Cheers Peter

Hi Skot, when you order from Helen and Owen, ask them for a list of the different blades, you could also ask what would be the best blades to buy for a beginner. She will probably want to know what material you'll be cutting as this will help a lot. I can personally vouch for her integrity.
    Kryn

Kryn,

Yep I contacted Helen about the blades and she sent me all that info....very helpful....I ordered a selection of sizes & types (13 packs of a dozen in fact).

Ill work my way through them using the guide for appropriate blades for certain timbers. So far I have scrolled some 18mm Ply and today did 30mm pine. Have learnt a lot today about speed of saw, feed rate and line adjustment, especially on straight lines.......they are harder than curves....give me curves anytime.

My niece asked if I could do some Table decorations for her wedding. She gave me an example of a $5 "LOVE" ornament which is cut by CNC in China out of 15mm MDF and then 2 are glued together.......then she wanted the same type of thing with slightly different font but with her name, future hubby name & LOVE.

They took me about 1 3/4 hours each to do. Have to take it slow when cutting 30mm solid pine

"TONY" "LOVE" "NESS"

TLN.JPG

Very nice work, they should be very happy with them. Skot, I forgot to mention that the quick release clamps are available from Helen also.
    Regards
    Kryn

Quick Release.......How are they different from my Excalibur clamps