Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Loctite Steel Putty

Has anyone used this product ? The data sheet shows impressive numbers . There is also a high wear resistant variant available

http://krayden.com/tds/henk_loctite_..._putty_tds.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by morrisman View Post
    Has anyone used this product ? The data sheet shows impressive numbers . There is also a high wear resistant variant available

http://krayden.com/tds/henk_loctite_..._putty_tds.pdf
    It's been around for a very long time.

I used some to repair a damaged gear shift lever on a VW about 40 years ago and it did what it said.

Have never machined it, but worked it with files etc and it is quite hard for an epoxy.

Wasn't a rubbing surface so can't comment on that aspect. Didn't shrink or shear.

Like all Loctite products, not cheap, but good.

Rob
    The worst that can happen is you will fail.
    But at least you tried.

Default The Loctite,

Hi to you both,
    have a look at AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China.
    I pay $14 for Loctite 401, never again. Will most likely share with some woody friends.
    5 x 20ml. for Approx. $25, free shipping.
    Waiting for some advice, from the one who told me.
    There are Letters & Nos. on the bottom, so 2C***, wood be 2012 - March.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

I work in an industry sector where things like shelf life are taken very seriously - we will toss out material that is beyond shelf life even if it is worth $1000's. So without commenting specifically on Issatree's purchase,
    • Adhesives are one of those things that you won't know that they are not good until they fail. We have a fridge bought solely to store "goos and gunks" in. Without correct storage the product may have deteriorated. The thing is, no one can say without controlled testing just how much strength has gone.
    • While products can be used beyond the stated shelf life, the risk of a poor joint increases. I can't recall if loctite 401 is 1 year or two years. You are better off buying small quantities often than a large quantity because it is "cheaper"
    • Loctite do have a factory in China (I think the 3rd letter in the code is a Y if it is made there), but for me the questions when buying from a sales site like that are
      • Is it genuine or counterfeit product;
      • Is it the good stuff or the reject stuff that an entrepreneur is selling to supplement their day job;
      • Has it been stored properly, so that it still has a decent shelf life.

For an important repair it may not be worth the risk.
    Worth thinking about if you want a repair to last.

Michael

I used a similar type of steel filled epoxy to patch some small holes in the oil tank of a chainsaw.
    The chainsaw must have been used to cut down some palms or similar trees and then left uncleaned for sometime whereby the sap corroded the Mg casing of the saw.
    I just applied it slightly proud of the final surface level and when dry, sanded it back to level.
    6 years later and it is good as when first patched.
    This is a big (111cc) saw that I used to mill about 60 logs with so it would have got very hot and vibrates like crazy so that says something about the holding power of the epoxy.
    You cant tell much from this pic because the whole thing has been painted but it will at least show you the extent of the original problem.
    076repair2.jpg

One thing I know with this sort of stuff is the surfaces have to be scrupulously clean. For me this meant washing the oil out of the tank and surfaces of the holes. The final wash needs to be done with a solvent like alcohol that does not leave any residue.

I have also bogged up some unused bolt holes on the cast iron top of a mates old table saw with this stuff and it's holding together really well.

Default The Loctite 401.

Hi Michael,
    Thank You for your Reply.
    I've had a look at my bottles that I am using at present.
    I normally scratch the Date on all of them, & do check the Letters & Nos. when buying them at our Local Sun. Market.
    These Bottles Of L/401, I am thinking of buying from AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China. look exactly the same as I have, & as I said I will pass them onto fellow Woodies, & not keep them all.
    I Store these Bottles in the Butter Comp. of our Fridge, Wrapped in a Plastic Shopping Bag. For some reason. I have heard that they go Jellyfied in their Fridges, & I don't know why that is.

So what I have at the moment is :
    Loctite 401, made in China, 3/6/2013 when I started to use it, 1HYD224, which I take to be 2011, Aug.
    Loctite 406, but with a Kilsyth, Vic. Address on it, 9CY2054, being 2009, March, which is still in the Fridge. Still made in China.
    Loctite 401, made in China, 28/9/2013, when I started to use it, as the 1st. bottle is almost finished, but still very useable. 2GYD312, being 2012, July.

So that is my knowledge of Loctite. It fills the splits in some of the Timber I use. I keep the dust from my Sanding, put the 401 in the Crack, blow some dust on it, & well within 10Secs. it is Set.

When ever I get a cut on a finger I have always used 401, & it stops the Blood Flow from the Cut. I have been doing this for at least 8 - 9 years, as best I can remember.

As I have stated in some past Threads or Reply to Threads, that my bottle of L/401 sits in a small Wooden Bowl, at approx. 40Deg+ - angle, S/W/A/ Spring, until the Bottle is Finished, & with the Cap Off. I have never had a Bottle Dry Out.

Now I know for a fact, that some Pen Makers use the 6 pack/$2, & after a while the Segmented ones Fail Slightly, as you can feel the joins.

I'm not one to join timbers, as I'm not much good at Woodwork, as I say I'm a Woodturner
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.