Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    That's a sweet looking unit Paul.

The name plate says it's 3 Phase so it should be easy to engineer a reverse on it.

Better still (seeing it is a 220/380V motor) would be to use a small VFD and then you would have speed control as well.

Cheers
    Bob
    Bob

As you can see in my previous post, it won't be necessary to reverse the direction. However, I take your point with the VFDs and so I can at last use my other 3PH machines I am installing large capacity single phase outlets (and associated cabling) so I can utilise 20amp and 32amp outlets in conjunction with VFDs.

If all goes according to plan (it rarely does), I will be able to use machines up to 7.5KW.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Michael

For the long blades that are clamped the grinder starts on the heel of the bevel and progresses towards the sharp end.

Regards
    Paul
    It should be spinning into the blade for the long blades as well.It gives less burr and takes the heat away from the thin edge where it does the most harm.
    Cheers from Micheal.

Quote Originally Posted by localele View Post
    It should be spinning into the blade for the long blades as well.It gives less burr and takes the heat away from the thin edge where it does the most harm.
    Michael

I had to think about this comment for a while and then it slipped out of my head when I had a second thought .

The man who owned this machine before me was a cabinet maker and ran a joinery shop for around thirty years. I feel he would have set up the machine according to the instructions as he was a very particular person. There is no provision for reversing the motor via a switch. Being a 3PH motor swapping any two wires would reverse direction, but without a switch this is not the intention.

I take your point about the wheel spinning into the blade, but I think this is the way the manufacturer intended.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Hey Paul
    That machine is very similar to one our (now retired) saw doctor had. As said earlier it had a cone grinding wheel that would grind a "flat" angle on the knife because the wheel was horizontal. He would "gang up" the knives so it was sharpening more than one blade at a time. His was semi automatic where by it would be doing its thing with coolant running and just "brush" the surface as it cut. At the end of the stoke it would make a quiet click and then run backward down the blade grinding as it went. It was an extremely quiet machine in operation. From memory, it would take printers guillotine knives about 900mm long. He would set it up and then carry on with something else he had to do. If you need to give yours anew home......mate......
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Quote Originally Posted by chambezio View Post
    If you need to give yours anew home......mate......

Rod you may have to join the queue .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;