Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shed Lighting

When I speak of the "lamp base" I am talking about the fitting that the bulb screws into. No it doesn't matter what circuitry: it's a cable, a switch and a lamp base with a bulb fitted.

There are a couple of common failures,
    In the case described the claws in the lamp base that retain the globe let go & spat the lamp whole & hot in this guy's ear.
    One of the other failures is melting or long term degridation of the insulation.
    If you want better light get a fitting that is adequate.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

I see , I think.........I now understand what you mean by lamp base.........ok, so to clarify is this right -> when you say claws in the lamp base your talking about those lamp bases that take bulbs with pins on the side..........

Well mine are screw in .........would this reduce the chance of it spitting out?

Its just that I'm having trouble understanding why after 10 months of regular use at least one of my 4 flexible arm lamps haven't yet burn't my shed down........ :confused:

Melting of the lamp base : well, they bearly seem to even heat up, let alone melt......I mean after the lights been on for a long time, I take the bulb out and touch the plastic and its just warm, not hot at all. Also I've seen the lamp bases that are mean't to hold these 150watt bulbs.....the cheap ones........they don't look any more rugged than those used with normal 60 watt lamps......

Long term degridation : maybe I suppose, but arn't I already into long term.....the flex seems just as flexible in all of them at they were the first day I bought them......isn't hardening a sign their failing ? But, this doesn't matter....I've decided to replace each cord with thicker anyway.....

I understand how important safety is ? but isn't this just a case of broad regulation rules ? I mean, wouldn't regulation decisions be made something like this.......
    'ok, Terry, lets make it easy, make it manditory that all flexible arm light manufactorers must put a 60 watt max warning sticker on their lamps.....because....even though there's only one brand out of a 1000 that seems to fail at wattages higher than this, we better make sure our arses are covered........ok.....thats done, what the next one, let try and get this done hey, so we can knock off for lunch, I'm starving......'

I mean I wouldn't risk it if I left them on without me there......I figured if it was going to fail then there would be warning signs........some no doubt would see this as risky...........anyway, good talking with you.

I could go on fro ever about the relative beinfits & failings of varoius lamp holders but I wont bother.
    You want to take the risk, go ahead. But don't come whinein to me when you got a burned ear. :eek:
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    I could go on fro ever about the relative beinfits & failings of varoius lamp holders but I wont bother.
    You want to take the risk, go ahead. But don't come whinein to me when you got a burned ear. :eek:
    Too late for that ya bast**d,,,,,,,just happened, one of the buggers just exploded in my face......my bloody ears just been blown off ........and its YOUR FAULT.........why the hell didn't you warn me not to use those bulbs in me lamps........ :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Last edited by JDarvall; 4th July 2005 at 02:25 PM.

Default lighting

A fine thread, as everyone has to deal with it in their workspace!
    I have a couple of banks of fluoros at roof height, but for better lighting over benches and machines I have rigged up a couple of small fluros on metal curtain tracking, which bolt to a swinging boom from the wall....very manouverable setup. The cord (with plug) is cable tied to spare rollers within the track, to keep it out of the way. The pivot point at the wall can not be built too robust!
    My only beef with fluoros is the continual buzzing.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac
    ... My only beef with fluoros is the continual buzzing....
    Hurry up & go deaf.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

there are a lot of things people complain about with fluros. Most of them shouldn'y be a problem.
    Poor colour rendition, used to be a fair cop, but the newer "daylight" tubes are much better.
    Continual buzzing. They shouldn't. If the balasts are in good condition & they are firmly anchored buzz shouldn't be a problem. Firm positive mounting is important.
    Flickering. They shouldn't. If the balast, tube, starter and tomb stones are in good nick it shouldn't be a problem.

While I would never consider a fluro a joy to behold they should provide a reasonable quality stable light source if maintained in good condition.

cheers
    People are made of meat.

there are a lot of things people complain about with fluros. Most of them shouldn'y be a problem.......etc.etc
    Mate.....its CLEAR to me you don't have a clue what your talking about.....I mean, you know what a light bulb is,,,,but thats about it... am I right ? Of COURSE I'm right........What I think you should do, is just get rid of all your 'fluros' and instead buy half a dozen arm style lamps and fit them with 150 watt bulbs.......TRUST me, you'll never look back

Oh, I so like to help out the newbies.....

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

While I would never consider a fluro a joy to behold they should provide a reasonable quality stable light source
    Our horses don't like fluoro's in their stable.............
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.