Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Hand Grinder Wheel Advice

I think I've got this thing running relatively ok. I ended up using washers made out of cereal box cardboard. It still has a bit of a left-right wobble, but not too much. It does have an out of balance wobble tho, by at an estimate, is about 3mm. I have a feeling that's caused by my grinder and not from the wheel. Surely Nortons can produce a more round wheel than that.

Still may end up conceding the idea (as much as I don't like saying it!)

Well, it's been invaluable learning, no? For not much cost. And it's brought good reading to hundreds of us
    Cheers, Ern

Default Hand Grinder Wheel Advice

A slight hitch (well in my OCD head that is!). I've had more of a look at this grinder. I do quite like it, but I've discovered that the spindle (right name?) is a bit bent. If you look at this pic:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371007496.952257.jpg

The spindle with small gear is straight up to the point where it exits the grinder housing. From there to the thread it is bent.

Here's another pic:

I was thinking about seeing if someone can fix it on a metal lathe?

I know that I've talked about abandoning this idea multiple times, but it is really not going away!

Does anyone know someone who can do this without charging a lot?

I know that you have moved on to your larger project but i found this resource which may help compensate for the side to side wobble you mentioned. Its for a bench grinder but should still work. The process involves using sticky dots to better align washers much like the cardboard.