Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Red face Milled some more Pignut Hickory

Today was awesome, at least until it got too warm for me. Ever notice how the heat just sneaks up on ya? One minute everything is going okay, and the next you can find any more breeze and shade!
    I gave up when it got to 95*F/46% humidity....or the sissy thing(heat index) got to 104*F Honestly, lunch was ready, and I was really hungry...so I figured it was as good a time as any. Never been known to be the sharpest stick in the pile...and I would have just stayed outside cutting until someone found me passed out from heat exhaustion(my wife knew I was hot and made some hamburger helper-and I'm a sucker for that stuff)!

It's going to take the rest of the day to upload the video into YouTube, so you'll just have to look at a few snapshots of some Pignut Hickory. The thinner looking sticks will be cut down to 4x4(they are at a rough cut of 1-1/8" thickness already), and I'll probably list as turkey pot call blanks?

I like to stand them vertically over thebench to drain the water(I have to wash off the drip mix from the mill to keep from staining the timber). Besides, I'm cutting them down in the tomorrow morning....they won't move before then.

Just a different angle...

The backside... Dang, I got wood drying everywhere. Maybe someone should clean this up?

Had a big, thick, top-cap come off the log that was borderline for all but some bowl blanks. So I decided to get them cut down to 7x7 and varying thickness(a natural edge, without the bark). These will sit in the shed until tomorrow morning, and then get moved into the garage/shop..

And some more of the 4" wide by 1-1/8" thickness cleaned off, sitting on the mill....yup, that's a 8-3/4"sq x 8'length beam, or maybe some more bowl blanks later on? Don't know yet?? And beside that piece, there is a chunk of timber that is 2-1/2" thick. It's going to be chopped up into 2-1/2 cubes(thinking Christmas ornament blanks)?

Anyway...thanks for looking. And the answer to the unasked question.....yup I made some more pen blanks today!

Scott (wearing the floppy hat and sweating Gatorade) B

I am still shipping Internationally for now.
    www.slabsblanksandboards.com

You blokes love your 'splalted logs' ...pretty stuff
    Mapleman

Neil

Thumbs up

Love it mate!! Look at all those pen blanks!!!

Red face

Here's the video of the cutting, [edited=both videos are loaded]

Hope you enjoy! It's a little long, but oh well?

Scott (I was sweatin' to the oldies) B

Quote Originally Posted by MAPLEMAN View Post
    You blokes love your 'splalted logs' ...pretty stuff
    It's true....I'm addicted to spalt!
    I am getting ready to start making Eastern Red Cedar beams soon. Everything will be 8-1/2"sq x at least 8'lengths for a 'post-n-beam' frame. It'll be the frame work for my roof that will go over the mill.... Going to try using the methods used in the 1700's....no nails, just wood pegs in the frame.
    So I guess y'all will get pretty bored while I'm cutting those up?

Scott (spalted for pens, solid for framing) B