Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Hi Josh,

Its good to get every piece of kit out of the cupboard for a job, makes you glad you bought it all

How bad were the surfaces on the bottom of the sliding jaw? Shouldn't *they* have 0 wear? So any errors are there from new or the casting moving?

Picked out a colour yet?

Stuart
    I think that might be my job, that is, to "carefully" spray varmano grey over all the precision surfaces...

Regards
    Ray

I re-assembled the vice and measured the jaws for squareness. Front jaw is out by ~0.05mm and the moving jaw is out by ~0.10mm.
    I don't know if that is better or worse than when I started as i didn't check the faces.

Rather than try and re machine the iron, I think it will be much faster to grind steel faces with a slight taper to correct for the squareness. I might have to touch up the iron if they prove not to be straight.

-J

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brobdingnagian View Post
    Finished off the other side of the guide ways, good enough with 0.011mm variance one side and 0.023mm the other, that is as about as good as the HM52 can do.

Next up is to give the old wear plates a lick on the grinder and reassemble with some shims and check for jaw squareness, Fingers crossed.

-J

Your clamping set up might have contributed to that. It looks like you had the center clamped on the far end in the picture, but not the end closest to the camera.
    A clamp in the center there would have held it down a lot better.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Your clamping set up might have contributed to that. It looks like you had the center clamped on the far end in the picture, but not the end closest to the camera.
    A clamp in the center there would have held it down a lot better.

Dave
    Good point. I had run out of free T-nuts, I might pull some of other machines and have another go at it if it proves to be a problem.

Well the rebuild is almost finished. All the geometry is in place. I lucked out in a few spots. First piece of luck was the mating part of jaws behind the faces where still parallel enough after all the grinding and after squaring up the faces it will hold a 0.001" shim on both sides firmly but if you really try you can just manage to pull one out. The replacement wear plates where sized to have the lead screw nut co-axial with the bearings, and it turned out that that left me with a ~0.03mm negative clearance with the guide clamps close enough to what I was looking for, I was all ready to grind a step in the clamps.

I still have to mill off a small section of welding that is now fouling the the back of the moving jaw when it opens pass 200mm. Some new screws for the wear plates, 4 new bolts and washers for the guide clamps and then a couple coats of paint.

I'll take a couple of more photos tomorrow when the light is a little better.

DSCN2727.jpg
    Now I can actually read the scales, with a little black paint rubbed in and rub with some wd, awesomeness.

DSCN2728.jpg

I forgot how heavy this is when its all together....

-J

Josh finished off the shaper vise, and it got a coat of varnamo grey, came up nice and true, the jaws and slides are spot on square and parallel.

It's about to be pressed into service making a batch of T slot nuts...

Regards
    Ray

Josh finished the first job off the new shaper vise, that being a brand new set of shaper made T-nuts for the shaper vise,

Only half got oil blackened, because the map torch ran out.. next is a set of flanged nuts for the other end.

I get the job of posting pics, and Josh has all the fun..

Regards
    Ray