Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Handyman business

As my regular work is drying up I'm considering what I can do to earn a living. Thought about a handyman business and wondering whether others here have tried to set up a business and what potential pitfalls and traps there are in this sort of business. I imagine there would be a few set-up costs and would be great to hear from anyone who has tried this venture before. Only an idea at this stage but there are a few handy types on this forum so maybe others have had some experience with this.

Mate of mine in Brisbane Has been in the handyman game for about 4 months or so and loves it!

More work than he can poke a stick at, great variety and he is his own boss. Low overheads.

Get in touch with real estate agents and property manages. They are always wanting repairs done
    to rental properties.

Would you need insurance to do this sort of thing?or would you be covered by the householders insurance? or are you better to hook up with the likes of the Grey Army?

Quote Originally Posted by nrb View Post
    Would you need insurance to do this sort of thing?or would you be covered by the householders insurance? or are you better to hook up with the likes of the Grey Army?
    Hire-a-Hubby is another group. There has been a guy from them doing work opposite our place on and off for about 3 weeks now.

Sometimes the franchisor makes more money than the person on the ground doing the work so it needs to be researched carefully.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Tiger

You need to check out the going rate for a handyman in your area and what level of work you can do before you need a builder's license. The latter varies from state to state.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    As my regular work is drying up I'm considering what I can do to earn a living. Thought about a handyman business and wondering whether others here have tried to set up a business and what potential pitfalls and traps there are in this sort of business. I imagine there would be a few set-up costs and would be great to hear from anyone who has tried this venture before. Only an idea at this stage but there are a few handy types on this forum so maybe others have had some experience with this.
    things to consider

Insurance (not sure what the type is called) -- for when something you've done breaks and the home owner sues you

Workers Comp / accident insurance -- you should be covered by the home owner's policy, if they have one (I believe arround 30% of houses are uninsured)

as already mentioned -- when (at what value of work) will you need a licence

word of mouth is probably your best advertising

access to an off-sider for those jobs that require two people

apart from gardening, grass cutting and gutter cleaning, the most useful handyman skills appear to be carpentry and roofing

It helps greatly in terms of generating future work if you can get into a loose partnership with a plumber, a painter and an electrician. Then as each of you come across jobs where the homeowner might need another's trade skills, you can share the work arround.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Thanks guys for your help here. Ian you mentioned that useful skills would be carpentry and roofing, I'm assuming that would be fixing problems rather than installing new items?

Tiger, I began doing property maintenance (handy man work) 5 years ago. Though I have not done any for the past 2 years, Why? You ask. Simple cause I had a momentary lapse in concentration and fell of a roof and two years later I'm still not back at work.
    So the first thing you need when starting out is INCOME INSURANCE. Had I not had this I would have lost everynthing, my businees, vehicles, house it all would have gone. Please do not risk working for yourself with out it. It covers you while you are travelling to and from jobs, some can cover you 24 hr a day. It is the one must have thing IMHO.
    The funny thing about working as a handyman is that most of the work you get is the work that the tradesman cant be bothered with, doesn't know how to fix or is they consider to be to dangerous or risky for them to do. So sometimes to get the job you may have to do things you might not be comfortable with and if you choose to go ahead anyway then make sure you and your family are protected.
    Public liability insurance will be required before you will be given a lot of jobs, most real estates require that you have it and all shopping centers require it as well.
    Hope this sheds a little light on the subject for you Tiger.

Cheers Rumnut

Thanks Rumnut, that's very sobering. I hope you're getting better and soon be able to do the things that you used to do. I take your point on the insurance, another thing to think about but essential nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Ian you mentioned that useful skills would be carpentry and roofing, I'm assuming that would be fixing problems rather than installing new items?
    Hi Tiger

It would be both.
    I live in the inner city. The houses in my area all too small to be worthwhile jobs for the "free installation" roofing and guttering contractors. To replace the iron roof on the back of my place and fix the guttering using a "free installation" contractor would have meant paying for about 250 sq.m of roofing, when only about 15 sq.m was required. I ended up paying a "handyman" contractor an hourly rate to replace the roof and dispose of the old iron. I used a similar arrangement to remodel the bathroom some years ago. In both cases the "handyman" came recommemnded from trusted friends and neighbours who were very happy with the work he'd done for them.
    When the time comes to renew the roof tiles, unless I can convince the neighbours to renew their roof at the same time, I'll have to get another "handyman" to do the job for me -- mainly because I don't fancy working 9-10m up in the sky on a 40° pitch roof.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Tiger,
    I have been working as a Handyman part time for about the last five years. Most of my work now is repeat business or word of mouth. When you start you find out how much you don't know. Some jobs I knock back due to my lack of knowledge, experience or I consider high risk. Other jobs you need to be qualified (electrical, plumbing and roofing). Be prepared to know the limits of your skills and if need be say no. Being able to ring a friend for a second pair of hands is also good, eg to put a shed together or just move a heavy/awkward item.

I have used the business to obtain tools as required, but kept in mind that I need to store and transport them. How many ladders do you need? You will probably still come to jobs where you do not have the correct one. (I have four ladders - 3 step and one extension. The extension might be too long on one job and not long enough on another.)

An ABN is useful and you may need to be registered for GST - talk to an accountant.
    Apply for trade cards - I found a good use for one (that does not give a discount a blue shed) it helped smooth a decorative transfer onto a wall.

It takes a while to get the business running, more so if you want it to be a full time job.

Wishing you the best whatever you decide.

Default You do not know who you will meet.

Part of working as a Handyman is being able to sell yourself.
    Another part is dealing with the client. Some are great; communicate with you and assist you by perhaps clearing a work area or assisting by letting you park your vehicle at the door instead of two blocks away. Some will just let you do the job, others will watch you every minute and tell you their life story good or bad.
    Some will be young and do not own or know how to use a screwdriver, others will no longer be physically able to do the job and that is why you are there.

The variety of people and jobs makes life interesting.