Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Old Small Lathe - Dexter Valve Reseating Machine

I have this small machine (lathe) which I hope is worth fiddling with as a rebirth job.
    The plate says " The Leavitt Machine Co - Dexter Valve Reseating Machine". While I'm mainly a woodworker, I would like to be able to turn small brass knobs etc. The faceplate/chuck unscrews so I guess I can replace it with a regular chuck!
    Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else it has a lovely stand that is too good to scrap!

Regards
    Lateron

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lateron;1613877[COLOR=#0000cd
    ] While I'm mainly a woodworker, I would like to be able to turn small brass knobs etc. The faceplate/chuck unscrews so I guess I can replace it with a regular chuck!
    Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else it has a lovely stand that is too good to scrap!

Regards
    Lateron

[/COLOR]
    The main problem you will have as I see it is that you can't profile brass Knobs on it as it only has one slide and no carriage. By profiling I mean cutting free hand on two axis.

If you don't want to do curved surfaces then it's OK as is, but knobs are usually rounded and that lathe wont do it easily unless you make up some profiled cutters.

As it's only brass the lathe is probably up to it (just) but I think you shouldn't spend too much on it.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,
    I see three dovetails(plus the movement along the bed like a Schaublin 102 )
    I wonder if there is a handle/screw missing?

Only one bearing has me wondering....... but I wouldnt know.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Hi Rob,
    I see three dovetails(plus the movement along the bed like a Schaublin 102 )
    I wonder if there is a handle/screw missing?

Only one bearing has me wondering....... but I wouldnt know.

Stuart
    Well spotted Stuart.

Go to the top of the class - I missed that. Yes, looks like provision for two slides.

It's a bit rough looking

Cheers

Rob

I reckon its worth re-birthing. Give it a good clean down and sprucing up and just see what it will do. The bearing would be a brass bush. My 100 plus year old metal lathe has them and still works fine as long as you keep up a supply of oil.
    I think you will have fun doing it up!
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Default Dexter

Thanks for the input Rob. This little lathe just looks too good not to do something useful with. I take onboard the limitations however!

Ron

Thumbs up Dexter

Thanks for the comments guys. Early days but I'm thinking I could play with something that will be more productive! Any suggestions for something similar to the 500mm length?

Regards
    LaterRON

G'day Lateron,
    What you have there is as the plate says a valve refacing tool but not for engine valves rather for the spindles on valves for steam, water etc.
    It was used to reface the contact surface of the spindle and was used in conjunction with a larger version of a reseating tool similar to those you can buy at a plumbing shop today.
    The pullys are add ons as originally it would have been hand cranked but apart from that yours is fairly complete it's just missing its tail stock.
    It probably dates to around 1910 or thereabouts.

There is a bit of info at these links:
    http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/oldmachines.htmPage Title

http://www.lathes.co.uk/leavitt/

There is some small pictures of an original catalogue here:
    The Dexter Valve Reseating Machine Catalog - 23 by The Leavitt Machine Company: Orange, MA: The Leavitt Machine Company Soft cover - Riverby Books

I'ts definately worth hanging on to but more from a collector point of view than for using.
    If you were ever considering selling it I would be interested as I collect these sorts of small machine tools.
    Cheers,
    Greg.