Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CGroves View Post
    I've been using my Haimer in a ER20 collet and I can't fault its accuracy. As for loosing Z height it hasn't really been an issue you can always reference off the bottom of a part.

That's a good link to the TTS style chucks. I'll be using that in the future ).

Bob, i'll be in Germany/Switzerland in June. I can pick up some tips then. If someone is interested PM me.

Christian
    Hey Christian,

You must be one of the lucky owners of the smaller arbored Taster. Mine has a 20mm arbor necessitating the use of the room consuming ER32 chuck. Work mounted on the table or in a vice will sometimes work with the Haimer. Sadly there isn't enough room when I'm working with the dividing head when it too is table mounted. With the table off and the head mounted directly to the vertical face of the longitudinal slide I'm home and hosed. I need to rig up a hoist to ease removing the 65 kg table. Always something.

I'll send you a message.

Bob.

Christian, good to hear you liked the TTS "replacement" link. They are really nice items. A Haimer Centro is next on my list.. Haimer 3D Sensors - YouTube

Bob, interesting that you mentioned a hoist for your rotary table. I spent the best part of Sunday putting up a Girder Trolley with an electric hoist attached to do the lifting of my rotary table. I spent a few hours fabricating a mounting bracket for the electric hoist. I got the chance to try out my "cheapie" CTC boring bar on some mild steel. I had to ream from 20mm to 24mm. The boring bar did surprisingly well in mild steel after I worked out the limits of the "width of cut".

Quote Originally Posted by variant22 View Post
    Christian, good to hear you liked the TTS "replacement" link. They are really nice items. A Haimer Centro is next on my list.. Haimer 3D Sensors - YouTube

Bob, interesting that you mentioned a hoist for your rotary table. I spent the best part of Sunday putting up a Girder Trolley with an electric hoist attached to do the lifting of my rotary table. I spent a few hours fabricating a mounting bracket for the electric hoist. I got the chance to try out my "cheapie" CTC boring bar on some mild steel. I had to ream from 20mm to 24mm. The boring bar did surprisingly well in mild steel after I worked out the limits of the "width of cut".

Luckily* the rotary tables I have are small and managable. What I need to hoist off is the entire universal table. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/sw...ml#post1561193

* I'd prefer to be unlucky weightwise and have the mill's original 10 inch table. One day maybe.

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by variant22 View Post
    After some reading, thinking, reading and thinking some more I have come up with a possible solution. It is along the lines of what Christian proposed and was close to my #3. I actually found some ER32 TTS style (same dimensions) chucks from the same place (new 10pcs C3/4 ER32 1.38L collet chuck holder CNC Milling and 1pcs Wrench | eBay) I got my 10x ER20 TTS holders. They are accurate collet chucks that are high quality and about 1/2 the price of the genuine TTS holders. I now have 10x ER25, and 10x ER32 collet holders on the way. I have some 20mm ER32 collets from my first venture into #3. The more I thought about the Z the more I started to think that I would be giving away half of nothing. I guess now the accuracy is down to the precision of the ER32 collet chuck(s) and collet(s).

Any objections to this approach? I know I am splitting hairs, but wouldn't the collet based approach be a better way (accuracy wise) than an arbor with set screw in the first instance?

I bought a lot of gear from that seller last year,
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/yo...ml#post1589501

Great value as long as you buy x5 or x10 and really quick postage.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Luckily* the rotary tables I have are small and managable. What I need to hoist off is the entire universal table. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/sw...ml#post1561193

* I'd prefer to be unlucky weightwise and have the mill's original 10 inch table. One day maybe.
    Bob, I am only lifting a Vertex HV8 which weighs ~30kg. I figure the lift is better than dropping/dinging it into the table. Not really all that heavy, but heavy enough to damage my table. Although I say only 30kg, it balloons out to ~45 with a chuck and backing plate mounted.

I am having to do a few modifications to the standard "girder trolley" as my beam is a bit wide. It can tilt and the wheels can get a bit off their "rail". I don't think it can actually come off, but it is close. I am therefore building a backing bar for it to bridge the gap. The backing bar will stop it tilting if I load it up not directly under the beam. I will set-screw mount one on each side of the girder trolley, between the wheels and the beam. That is tonight's job!

Dave, Good to see all the goodies you purchased! By the time these arrive I will have 10x ER20 + 3x genuine TTS ER20's, 10x ER25, 10x ER32. It is handy when doing a job not to have to worry about putting collets in and out, and setting up tools. I try to get everything together so I can do the job rather than constantly bugger around with slippery collets, wrenches, nuts and the like mid-job.

PS: I have a passing interest in NT30 spindles. I hear they are available for RF45's, but I am yet to see one.

The 12mm Haimer is the one called "Next Generation":
    Haimer GmbH - 3D-Taster New Generation

With regards to the centro if you have a 3D taster you don't really need one. I find the centre of hole by finding by indicating two sides of the hole on the X-axis with the taster to find the centre line. Then indicate two sides of the hole on the centre line in the Y-axis. The middle of this will be 0,0.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by CGroves View Post
    With regards to the centro if you have a 3D taster you don't really need one.
    Christian, your right that I do not "need one". "Want" is more the operative word

They are such beautiful instruments that it is hard not to want to add another Haimer device to my collection.