Ok wise people, I am looking for suggestions /help/ advice please

At a clearing sale recently I aquired some fantastic cupboards, they are 50+ years old, a mix of pine, hardwood and masonite. Insanely strong and square considering their age! Originally they were set up with one large wadrobe type cupboard and the smaller cupboards sat on top of them for extra storage, i do not have the ceiling height to fit them like this so want to use the smaller cupboards as a bench along a wall.

The dimensions of them are 1250x510 and they are 750mm high. I am just about to lay laminate floors where they will live and I need them to be a multipurpose storage/sewing area for me, so I have purchased 63mm nylon castors for the base to make them more user friendly as they are quite bulky and will be more so once they are full!

My question is what sort of a brace should I build for the base of the cupboard? The majority of the timber in the construction seems to be lengths 20mm x 67mm? sorry i only had a metric tape measure on me. but from that I have a solid edge of only 20mm aprox which is not enough to get all screw holes into something solid. I have lots of reno materials, I was thinking of using recycled pine floor boards, they are aprox 25mm x 100mm in thickness. Would I be better laying out a rectangle of timber that fits the bottom of the cupboard and bracing the joins, or would i get away with a piece of board from corner to corner on the short edge (so if the cupboard is upside down the added timber looks like an 11, one length on the left side, one on the right) , just to put a castor in each corner? Or alternatily run a length of timber along each long side and just put a castor on each corner? Will i need to brace the centre somehow?

sorry I hope that you can make sense of that?? Any help appreciated, cheers Maz

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...