Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Dads shed

Default Dads shed

Hi Guys, dad have me a box full of old stuff from the back of his shed.

Any of it worth trying to restore?

There's a few similar saws and 8 or so of the same brand chisels

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356351840.272603.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356351867.501078.jpg

Default The Tools.

Hi giddleberry,
    Yes you have some good Tools there.
    Your Chisel is a Berg, & if all the Decals are as good as that one, then you have some very fine Chisels, & of course they are Socket Chisels. If you need to know what they are worth you can go back through the Threads on Bergs.

The Disston is also a nice Saw, but the others will know a lot more than I. The Blade could be a bit of a problem.
    That's my 2cense worth.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

All together now .. "No no ... they are terrible chisels ... get them to me so I can pack them off to the Salvo's"

You couldn't want for much better ... so lots of pictures, please

That saw may look a mess, but there's every chance there is plenty of good metal there.
    IanW could tell you if the back can come off with reasonable effort.

The whole saw can be dismantled I'd say ... then the blade wire-wheeled gently - or a pack of razors- or citric acid - or electrolysis - or ...

Have a look here: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/r...p-step-159033/

and here: Restoring Vintage Saws - Restoring vintage and antique woodworking tools - wkFineTools.com

and just saying "similar saws" is cruel let's see what you've got there ... please

Cheers,
    Paul

Default Dads shed

Awesome. Theres 2 larger saws. I think one is the same brand and the other is another. The larger of the two has a finger hole in the handle.

All the chisels have the same blue marking.

I'll snap some more photos when I get home with it all on Boxing Day.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Most items can be restored to useable condition giddleberry, the one caveat on that is pitting of the metal. That said those chisels are probably going to be worth the effort to bring back to a useable
    state.

The saw with the thumbhole(?) in the handle is a very
    desirable piece so photos would help to assess it's condition, even if the blade is toast the handle may be reusable and would be easy to sell if you didn't want it.

Good luck what ever you choose to do, Merry Xmas,
    Cheers, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

Quote Originally Posted by giddleberry View Post
    .....I'll snap some more photos when I get home with it all on Boxing Day.....
    I am sure that many of us will be waiting to see those photos.

Yep, looks like you've made an excellent score, gb. You couldn't ask for a better starter set of chisels. Spend a bit of time researching back-flattening & sharpening, choose a method that most appeals to you (there are several!), and start on one of the smaller chisels like a 1/2". That should give you a result in a reasonably short time & encourage you when you start on the wider sizes. You don't have to have the whole back shiny flat, just the last 10-15mm. You need the back flat at the cutting tip, because a sharp edge is the intersection of two planes, and it makes a vast difference when making any sort of paring cut, as the chisel will tend to enter the wood in a straight line instead of wanting to curve. If the back is rounded over a little along the cutting edge (very easy to do!), you can still hone a keen edge, but it will not be a good tool to use for many procedures. And the rule of thumb is: for a 25% increase in width, it takes about 250% more effort to get it really flat , but it's well worth the effort - real joy in woodworking begins the day you learn to make tools truly sharp.

You have yourself the makings of a nice little back saw, too. The blade looks to be in a very sorry state, with some deep pitting, unfortunately, but it may not be as bad as it looks. A pitted blade is unsightly, but won't affect function too much unless the tooth line is badly pitted. In time, you could replace the blade, it's a very simple procedure, and I see it as no more serious than putting a new blade in a plane. I wouldn't bother with chemical cleaning, a progression of wet & dry paper, either used dry or with kerosene will soon get it good enough to use. It's certainly esier to clean the blade if you disassemble the whole thing, but not absolutely necessarry, if you are careful. The back should tap off quite easily. Clamp the blade in a vise, & use a hard wooden block against the brass, don't whack it directly with a hammer or you'll mark it. Try each end - one is usually a bit looser than the other, & once you get that moving, the rest follows very quickly. The steel backs can 'weld' themselves on with rust, and be a bit of a struggle to shift, but brass usually gives no trouble.

Starting out with some nice tools is a great way to begin, & even better when they have a bit of family history already - this could be your entry to a long & happy addiction to good hand tools.....

Cheers,
    IW

Default Dads shed

Thanks again for the advice all and merry Xmas.

[QUOTE=pmcgee;1589638]All together now .. "No no ... they are terrible chisels ... get them to me so I can pack them off to the Salvo's"

To me, send them to me as they are not actually worth it

Default Dads shed

Still got to have a better dig through the shed but here's what looks good to me so far.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356406049.017426.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356406072.650746.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356406099.367528.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Every thing in your photos look to be in good condition.
    A clean up is needed ofcourse, but don't go over the top if you are using these as "working" tools.
    You have a great start to the "WOOD" addiction.

Paul.
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM.

Good score. What's the history here ?
    was your Dad in a trade ? DIYer?

Default Dads shed

Dads a sparky and one of his customers have him a chest full of gear that was used by his father who would be about 110 this year.

Unfortunately all of the planes got raided about 20 years ago

gb - the handsaw with the dragon/snake will probably be a Sandvik - the other is a Disston D8 thumbhole
    (Online Reference of Disston Saws -- D8 Model)

If your biggest chisel is 3/4" (19mm) then it looks like the saw is quite course - maybe 4 points per inch (= 3 teeth per inch)

Probably the Sandvik would be a crosscut saw (or finer ripsaw), and the Disston a course ripsaw.
    The toothlines of the saws look in pretty good shape.

A family friend asked me to look through his shed saws and we found one old one - very much in the condition of your saws.
    After only one hour or so it looked substantially better ... (but far from fully restored)
    (It is a Disston #7 from roughly 1880-90)

saw 006.jpg

Definitely a good score GB
    Paul has covered it well. Give them a good restore after checking the forums for info on how to and you will not regret the time and effort later when you are using them.
    The original owners made good decisions as all of these would have been top of the line purchases in the day and are now considered good user tools or great collectables.
    Enjoy, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"